Hi folks:

I'm building a 6-string electric license plate guitar with a hardtail bridge. Most of the builds I've seen use floating bridges and tailpieces, so I'm having a little trouble figuring this out on my own. Does the area under the bridge need to be perfectly flat? I can see the added height causing problems with neck angle and so forth; I'm already cutting a hole for the humbucker, so I could just cut out another hole for the bridge and screw it down to a block in the neck. Or I could just install the thing and not worry.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Vincent, I would always have the bridge on a flat firm surface for better response from the strings, better sustain. I aim for a bridge/saddle height of between 1/2" to 5/8", then adjust the neck angle to give the desired string action over the 12th fret, possibly 2mm for a non-slide setup.

I would set this up by having the saddles adjusted mid-way up so that you have height adjustment both ways should you need it.

I hope this helps Taff
    Visual Mode don't work...

• Or use a wrap bridge/tailpiece that will be up off the surface.

12313524070?profile=RESIZE_710x

• You can mount it right on the plate, just make sure your block is solid enough to hold the bridge down securely? Take a look at Maddog’s page, he’s a master of the License plate cbg? Good luck on this  :)

12311750655?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.