I have two of these 3-string bridges now, and on both, the saddle height screws are WAY too loose.  Even with the strings under tension, they will vibrate loose on their own and FALL OUT (one screw will hold the saddle in place while the other comes out.  They fit VERY loosely in their screw holes.

I experimented with Loc-Tite thread tightener and it was no help at all: it is very messy and hard to apply with precision, and because the screws are to loose in their screw holes, it cannot grip anything anyway

I also tried plumbers tape around the screws to make them tighter, but it is very hard to apply neatly and just bunches up above the screw hole, and also looks messy.

How else can I make these tighter?  I don't know any place to buy better quality components for 3 or 4 strings, and even if I did, I need to remedy the two I already have installed.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nice work! OK, any better? 

• The clear nail polished seemed to help, so all is well.

• @ mark  ;-)

• Good solution. Glad you worked it out.

• Awesome! Looking forward to seeing this one complete. 

• I'd have to agree with Clark. It looks like you've had to loosen then to compensate for the neck hight. There may not be a simple fix for this on this guitar. Perhaps try a simple bridge for this build. For your next build try measuring the bridge hight. Then add that to the hight of your neck  from the box top. Or you could even drop the bridge into the box. 

• I might drop the bridge into the box.  But other than that, the current build needs to stay as it is.  Lessons learned can then be applied to future builds.

• You should be able to treat these screws like those you see in electronic components and similar items. That is, after you have the screws adjusted like you want, use a small paint brush to apply a dab of thicker oil-based paint to the screws where they come into contact with the body. Once dry, this should lock the screws in place just as it does on other components subject to vibration. Worth a try.

• But we would still want to be able to adjust the screws, just not have them so crazy loose like they are now.

This reply was deleted.