Since I shipped off my CBG yesterday to my friend, Dave, I need to build something to play.

I stopped today at lunch and picked up the neck lumber.  Red oak from Lowes, ($6).

Tommorrow on my day off, I'm planning on building one using a paper covered Macanudo Gold Label box.  The discussion about paper or wood got me to thinking.  I haven't built one from a paper covered box because I thought the wood boxes would hold up better.  But, looking at several here, the artwork on the paper covered boxes really pops.

I have a total of 3 on my "to build" list.  The Macanudo box as a 3-string and 4-string made from the black Jose Gener box. 

The third is going to take a while.  It will be a full 6-string telecaster-based guitar using the Fuente box to "wrap" the solid body blank hidden within.  The plan for it is to keep hitting pawn shops looking for a Squier Telecaster around $75.  Hoping to find an affinity-model with the thinner body.  Nobody wants them and I should be able to find one $50-75. Failing that, I may use a strat for a donor body.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sound Check:

• Nice sound...good simple build that sounds great! 

• Just added some more pictures to the photolog:

Macanudo Build Photolog

029.jpg

Who's been drivin' my Terraplane now, with you since I been gone?

026.jpg

• 035.jpg

Added frets.  First time I've done these.  Turned out easy and sounds great. 

• I recently finished my first non-paper covered CBG, a black Rocky Patel, and have been asked several times now why I didn't use a cigar box. Apparently many non-CBGers don't know that cigars come in wood boxes. 

• lol  ..     and  those     rockys are a sweet  box  .

• Well, I'm figuring out that I probably won't be the best how-to guy here.  I get to going and I don't want to stop to take pictures.

IMG_3117.jpgShe's alive...with sound of music.  I'll get her electrified later this evening or tomorrow and post a demo video.  Those I can do. 

More pictures here: http://photobucket.com/macanudo

• chopped   teisco     are  great too ;-)

a8

• very steam punk...cool.  That trem arm looks dangerous. Yours?

This reply was deleted.