Hanging a Cigar Box Guitar

Getting your creations off the floor

I was searching for ideas on how to hang my cigar box guitars on the wall. They just seemed to be in hazards way sitting on the floor. So I went exploring online for an answer.

The best solution I could find was to attach string to the tuning machines then hang them from a hook. But I wanted to do it one better, so I gave it some thought and this is what I did.

It happens that several years back I was making wall hangers for acoustic guitars. It was an idea that sold on eBay but wasn't very profitable. Consequently, I have a large bag of these things sitting in my garage. If I could use those, half my work would be complete. My answer was to turn them so that there is a peg on top (for hanging my slide) and a peg on bottom (for hanging my CBG). I found that sheet rock screws hold these hangers quite adequately to the wall.

Using string really sounds cheesy to me, I wanted something more substantial. Online I discovered leather hangers that slide over the tuning knobs of your guitar. I didn't want to order and wait for delivery, so I made my own. I went to Jo-Ann's Fabrics store and purchase a package of 1/2”x36” leather strip. I cut it into 12” lengths, measured 1/2” up from each end, and cut two 1” slits. I then slid them over the tuning machine knobs. They work perfectly.

You can probably do just as well with a coat hook and string, but I like the way mine is setup. Not only is my cigar box guitars off the floor, but my slides are hanging just above them, too—ready for action.

I just wanted to share this info should anyone be searching for an easy answer, as was I. Making the wood hangers is pretty simple. It's just a matter of cutting a board into squares, drilling holes for the pegs, drilling holes for the screws, putting it all together and anchoring it to the wall.

I hope this helps somebody.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I do this.Hanger is always along.

Hagan_LP_Headstock.jpg

Partegas_Headstock_Front.jpg

PDR 1878 Headstock.jpg

• I also put in a hole in all of mine after the first one.  I like that the wooden hanger holds the slide though.  Another material for the cloth part would be paracord or other cord, a couple loops tied from a short piece and you'd be set.  Also lots of colors to choose from.

• I like this! Bet you can hang an inline easily as well. Just use two tuners. I'm thinking I have lots of old blue jeans that could be sewn up for hangers as well. 

• I never thought of that.  Sounds pretty cool.

• kewl  ,  you  could   use the same hanger  to  hang   em  upside-down  with  the  box across the  pegs . 

(for heavier  guits ) 

• Just another reason why I post here--to generate new ideas.  Thanks!

• Clever idea. I like being able to hang from the tuners even when they are offset from one another.

Thanks

This reply was deleted.