Hello everyone, i'm currently having a battle with my first build.

i have tried mounting piezo pickups in several places but i cant seem

to get rid off the  exsessive handling noise. the body is made of powder coated metal

and a table leg runs through it keeping the neck in place.

so, if you all could give tips, advice and succestions how to 

make the darn thing sound better.

thanx

IMG_20160331_213247.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mount the piezos internally in the bridge
  • I put a 100nf capacitor in line on the positive side of piezos to reduce noise from knocks. Loosely based on a passive high pass filter: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_3.html though I can't remember why I didn't bother with a resistor :)

Full details of my crazy electronics are in the build thread comments: http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profiles/blogs/rough-cuts-and-adjusta...

Mostly designed by experiment rather than any knowledge of what I was doing :)
    • okay, i've finally settled with something... after ten different caps and discs i now have 

a 2cm brass piezo between two pieces of cork, cut from a wine bottle

sandwiched between the soundboard and the tableleg by a lid from an old class container

and a lid from a moustache wax tin.

it sounds good, with as much handling noise you would get recording with a dynamic mic.

demonstration coming soon(ish).

the output level seems to increase soon as i clue/tape/what ever the thing to its place, maybe because less resonation?

IMG_20160412_214959.jpg

• piezo signal strength is in direct proportion to how solidly the vibrations are conducted to the crystal layer of the disk. 

• that would make sense, but WHY does it work the opposite.

i am puzzled.....

• i have found that taking a "plastic water bottle cap" and hot glueing over the top of the piezo (creating an air gap) helps.  

• another option is to see  the "unwanted noise" in a different way : - )    http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/unwanted-noise

• If you wire 2 in serial, they might cancel out the high frequencies. Since your box is metal I guess it's the high freq that are problematic. Also, make sure your lid is firmly attached. If it's moving about a bit then it might not be a piezo problem at all.

• hmmm, for some reason two piezos both in series and parallel cut only volume, i added a third one

and that made things a bit better. still had a load of handling noise, though.

so i rewired the whole damn thing just to be sure. now i have one stainless steel piezo,

it's quite a bit hotter, but the handling noise somehow has'nt increased as much as one would expect. so i'll try to find a good spot for it now. we'll see what happens...

and as for the lid i have window sealing tape keeping it in place :)

• Good luck. Let us know how it comes along as good tips travel well.

This reply was deleted.