Replies

• I agree with all the cautionary tales on these things. I bought a Ryobi electric hand planer to take about 1/4" off the edge of a sticking door. Ended up needing to buy a new front door. These things are really really easy to get out of alignment with the work piece, and mistakes are a nearly instant way to create firewood.

However if anyone does want to buy a slightly used hand planer, I can hook you up real cheap. :)

• Here is another option for planing, if you have a drill press - the Wagner Safe-T-Plane. I'm very happy with mine. Quick and accurate with good technique. Does blow massive amounts of chips around the shop, so I'm working on a way to capture some of them with my shop vac. Bought mine at Woodcraft, also available from Stew-Mac and LMI.

Safe - T Planer - Stew Mac

• My block plane is also an old Stanley, simple and it works. Like Mungo said, small cuts work best.

Scotty C. said:

The two I worked on were a Stanley Block Plane, and a Harbor Freight Bench Plane; the Harbor Freight was so terrible in both blade material and general construction, I won't be buying from them again. There's no way to accurately set to a thin shaving... even on the lowest setting, the blade juts 1/8" out the plane's mouth.

• The two I worked on were a Stanley Block Plane, and a Harbor Freight Bench Plane; the Harbor Freight was so terrible in both blade material and general construction, I won't be buying from them again. There's no way to accurately set to a thin shaving... even on the lowest setting, the blade juts 1/8" out the plane's mouth.

• Glad to hear you have meet with satisfaction. Remember to take small cuts, most people set the plane to take too big a cut. With a sharp blade lots of fine cuts works best.           Cheers Ron.
  • Good job, sounds like you sharpen'd your plane. Kind of neat to see the wood roll of in curls isn't it?

Scotty C. said:
    Oh... wow. So that's what a honed plane shaves like. This is some kind of awesome...

Mungo Park said:
    Well tell us how it goes.    Remember to do the back of the blade as well, this only has to really be done once in a while.        Cheers Ron.
  • Oh... wow. So that's what a honed plane shaves like. This is some kind of awesome...

Mungo Park said:
    Well tell us how it goes.    Remember to do the back of the blade as well, this only has to really be done once in a while.        Cheers Ron.
  • Well tell us how it goes.    Remember to do the back of the blade as well, this only has to really be done once in a while.        Cheers Ron.
  • I use a cheap 2 sided stone I got at a flea market years ago, no guide just free hand it. A nicer stone would be nice, but any stone should be better than none. If you have a really flat surface the sandpaper you have should be fine. You will be planing in no time.

Scotty C. said:

Update: the Robert Larson Honing Guide arrived. @ home, I have 400, 600, 800, and 1500 grit sand paper. So tonight, I'll be testing it out with a low-end spokeshave blade.

Also, I found this at one of the web sites I frequent: http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/sculpting-tools/SHB3-SS1000 ... Seems like a decent stand-in/practice stone so that I can acclimate myself before I spend decent money on a real whet stone.

Mungo Park said:

You can use  sandpaper until you get stones, you can buy the high grit stone first and use sandpaper until you get another one. The stones are $$$ but they do last a really long time, your grandchildren will be using them, hopefully not for a door stop. The money you don't spend on the electric planer can be put towards stones.                                                 Cheers Ron.
  • Update: the Robert Larson Honing Guide arrived. @ home, I have 400, 600, 800, and 1500 grit sand paper. So tonight, I'll be testing it out with a low-end spokeshave blade.

Also, I found this at one of the web sites I frequent: http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/sculpting-tools/SHB3-SS1000 ... Seems like a decent stand-in/practice stone so that I can acclimate myself before I spend decent money on a real whet stone.

Mungo Park said:

You can use  sandpaper until you get stones, you can buy the high grit stone first and use sandpaper until you get another one. The stones are $$$ but they do last a really long time, your grandchildren will be using them, hopefully not for a door stop. The money you don't spend on the electric planer can be put towards stones.                                                 Cheers Ron.
This reply was deleted.