Bought the Harbor Freight pull saw last week for fretting and it looks like the kerf is wider than the ones people have been using. The kerf is .032 now at least the tooth set is . The slot is too wide for the CB Gitty frets. Luckily I only did one before I noticed. Used my old Irwin it was pretty beat up but it still cut better than the HF one.

Views: 1993

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dig those inlays there uncle *****
Wayfinder...thinking that it's better to buy five cheap saws for the price of one good one might not be a wise idea. Buying the most expensive stuff isn't always the most appropriate thing to do, but in most cases, a good tool will perform way better than a cheap one - it will cut easier, quicker and more accurately, and it will last longer too. With care, a Japanese or Sheffield steel tool will last a lifetime, a cheap Chinese one will be junk in a very short period of time. I've got a UK made Record jack plane and an Indian "Anant" jack plane...the Indian one is utter junk..the blade won't keep an edge, the castings and adjusters are inaccurate and sloppy, making it a nightmare to set up and use. I use the Record all the time, whereas I've taken the blade out and put some double stick tape and sandpaper on the base of the Indian plane and use it as a long sanding block, that's all it's good for. Be smart and buy wise.
I still use the same jap pull saw I bought for fret slots 20+ years ago
(I do use scroll saw for skinnier necks tho..)
Wow thanks for all the great info! I like the homade indexing miter box vid Ckicken Bone and the cheap is a true statement . I was saved yesterday when H.F. Didn't have the other saw in store. Brian the scroll saw cool idea I have a small band saw that may work if I go from both ends gotta check. Oh the 1/2 cylinder fearless are killer.
Brit John thanks for the link. I sent an email to Shark Saw to see what kerfs they have .....I should have just messaged CB Gitty Ben as they now carry one of the sharks. I have some photos below that show the simple jig and neck holder I built to fret the neck in the upper part of the pic. Neck holder is a reclaimed broken wood clamp a friend gave me. For holding the neck one clamp rod works better. I drilled out a 3' aluminum t square to 5 common scales from CB Gitty templates. Second photo is the old timey shed with wood burning stove where I was working on the neck ,water glass of Fireball whiskey some John Lee Hooker and hand work made for a nice Christmas afternoon.. Thanks for all the help.
Gary
Only one photo made it it the post
Outside of shed.
Attachments:
Had wrong photo delegated then edit no option for photo?
Jig and neck clamp.
Agg I'm not getting more than one pic. The inside of wife's garden shed that I built.
Attachments:
Photos and the site and I not getting along well!
Attachments:

If you add the wrong photo, there is a little dark gray button in the upper right hand corner of the post window that will let you delete it.

and if you use the toolbar button that says Image on it (right next to the Link button) you can put the pic into the post instead of it showing up as a link you have to click on.

Thanks Dan I'll try again.

My first fret saw was a junior hack saw. Then I used a blade for a junior hack saw sandwiched between two bits of wood. This is apparently a tip from an Earl Scruggs book. It was a little wide so I fixed that by filing the sides a little. If the set is the thing causing problems a hammer can sometimes fix it.

Now I use a Jack/Irwin traditional dovetail saw. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Glenn Kaiser posted photos
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Da Do Ron Ron: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Glad to put a smile on your face BrianQ! This one is a fun one to sing and play."
4 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

"Another great oldie I thought I’d never hear on cbg!! :)"
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 198th Zoom Mtg 04/15/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
8 hours ago
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"www.cbguitars.ch auf FB This Bichsel"
yesterday
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"Hallo, ich bin aus Solothurn. Lisa Stearns hat mich gefragt ob ich Dich kenne. Ich baue cbg. Gruss…"
yesterday
Matthias Bichsel liked Moritz Voegeli's profile
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for John Herrick
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for Daniel Cook
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for Skip Novakovich
yesterday
T-Gripped liked David Woodman 's photo
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->