I'm considering an electric guitar build with a built in amp and speaker right in the guitar.  There will be no need to plug in...  It will be a small 9-volt amp (about 1 watt).  I'm thinking of 2 small speakers where sound holes would normally go... or 1 3 inch speaker.

Any thoughts?  Is there anything I need to watch out for?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you are looking for a nice sized box for such a project, I would recommend a silverware box. They make some nice guitars. You can usually find them at thrift stores for like 3 bucks.

• I had never thought of that.  We have a few around here... will stop by and take a look.

• Welcome to feedback city with a built in amp. Unless you just want to blow out destortion and crap, yep, do it!  

• Thanks for the positive reinforcement... LOL...

Is it bad?  Is there a way to prevent/reduce it?

I have copper tape and I plan to use it around the pup...

• You may need to pot the pickup.

• pot the pup?

• Yep.

• definition please..."pot the pup"???

• Short version , soak pup in melted wax to stop resonance from loose windings.

Inexpensive mag pups tend to be micro-phonic because of skipping that step. If your pup picks up sound you'll be in feedback hell real quick.

Click on "yep" above for access to more detailed information.

• Ah, yes.  Is there an easier way to pot them without melting wax?  I don't think my wife would like her pots full of wax.  I've coated previous pups in PolyAcrylic to penetrate and help hold the windings steady.  And wrapped in elect tape.

This reply was deleted.