Guitar straps

I don't know if anyone has thought about it, but cheaps guitar straps can be had from ladies old purses or soft sided brief bags. I have a strap from an old soft side brief bag, it even has swivel hooks on it and a wide shoulder pad. Just a thought, old purses can be picked up for 50 cents to a $1.00 at good will stores or maybe wifes old bag she doesn't use anymore.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I found an old dog lease with clips on both ends which I appropriated (the dog was long gone), and it makes a good guitar strap for smaller instruments (mostly what I make). I have also used fat shoe laces I found on sale at a night market in Hong Kong, and I used an old camera neck strap on another 3-stringer. Finding free or low cost guitar straps is always a bit of a challenge (and depends on luck). Keep your eyes and mind open.

-Rand.

• Or you can make 'em yourself.

I make mine out of braided cotton clothesline (the $2.98 - $4.98, 30 m - 100 ft - Ace Hardware roll). I make 3 and 4 string braids, then soak 'em for 24 hours in a bowl with hot water and 10 Lipton's Orange Pekoe / Black tea bags, to get an aged look.

I can get anywhere from 3-5 straps out of a 100 ft roll.

See the Oily's Guitar Lounge album on my CBN profile page for a few pics of how they look. 

• If anyone wants some really cheap straps, and you can hurry and buy before midnight tonight, Guitar Center has some cheap straps on sale for $2.39 apiece.

http://tinyurl.com/3wpnozx

• Wow Here I am searching all over for guitar straps for my little CBG- and you people have the most clever ideas of anything I've seen.. I knew joining the cigar box nation was  the right thing.

Now if i can just do a little better with shane's lessons........

• i use a piece of rope looped at the ends and bound with wire, slip the loops over the pegs i used and tada instant strap that fits the look
  • it might be over kill but you could try the zakk wylde strap a 3/8th's chain and ibolts.
  • Another good one is old doggie leashes, the woven-nylon kind. I had several "puppy" leashes floating around and they work fine.
  • I was looking for strap ideas at a Goodwill store. While sifting thru the belts I found a genuine 3" leather Fender strap ..... 5 bucks. Yee-haa!

I have thought about using small eye-screws and 3/8ths cotton rope for the po' boy look.

Matt
  • For straps I use Duct tape.I have also made straps out of lawn chair webbing and grommets.
This reply was deleted.