Replies

• Do you guys (and gals) use a different finish for the necks as opposed to the rest of the body or just One for All and All for One??

• I use minwax antique finishing oil and do 3 coats sanded with 1500 in between coats and buff real good shines nice and seems to wear well

• I use Zinnser spray shellac followed by Tru-oil. Shellac is a pretty much "under anything" finish that seals the wood so you can add the top coat. You could just use shellac.

• I'm surprised no one mentioned boiled linseed oil... Something about it just screams old-school finish. . .  just pay attention to the warnings:  dispose of rags in a water filled metal paint can, or lay them out someplace fire proof to dry.  Don't wad them up in your trash, unless you want a trash fire...

• Thank you for all the replays, silly question but do you fit the frets first?

DBOWES

• I use Danish Oil & do the first coat prior to sawing fitting & filing the frets,  The second coat coners the blemishes created by the fretting process.  If I am just woodburning the fret lines / markers I do them first so I can fine sand the burn roughness away.

• polyurethane is a hassle, lacquer takes to many coats and time. I have been using walnut oil and sanding each coat. 4 or 5 coats. No solvents chemicals you my need to reapply some oil later but if the dog eats it he will be fine.

• *like*

You absolutely do not need to use anything toxic. Even oil from your kitchen will work great
  • I'm with Gary. I use Tru-Oil. I figure if it's tough enough for a rifle stock, it's good enough for my guitar neck. Goes on easy and makes the wood just glow.

• Danish oil is my favorite.

This reply was deleted.