Groups

If I may ask, and please pardon me because I am not much of a player, can make a lot of noise or am I much of a builder. But why all the groups? I thought the nation was the group to belong to. Cigar Box Nation is what the header says. Now I have no problem with dulcimers or any other home made instrument being on here but. The simplicity of what the Nation started out as is gone. The music some of you guys produce just blows my mind, your all amazing but why have all these groups. A group for this a group for that. I thought it was about what kind of music can we create from simple instruments. I guess because I just play for me, I don't understand. And so many of you build instruments if I had the money I would buy from all of you. Thank you for your time

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• yeah...part of the job

HENRY LOWMAN said:
    Well, Shane...you really stepped in it this ime! :-) Good luck...

Shane Speal said:
    I just added catagories to the Forum posts. Now I have to re-categorize 883 back posts!
  • Well, Shane...you really stepped in it this ime! :-) Good luck...

Shane Speal said:
    I just added catagories to the Forum posts. Now I have to re-categorize 883 back posts!
  • I just added catagories to the Forum posts. Now I have to re-categorize 883 back posts!
  • Something happened?
  • <<<<<'We just had a "brain drain" through Ted's ban and the deletion of all his contributions.'

Huh? What happened to Ted? I Haven't been on here much in the last couple of weeks - did I miss some kind of cataclysm?
  • I don't see any reason to delete groups. It's up to the individual group owners to promote their groups. You guys have created great discussions in here. Why not push your groups when you feel the info is important? Have fun with it.

-Shane Speal
  • I don't see any need to delete groups - and to delete the information collected there. We just had a "brain drain" through Ted's ban and the deletion of all his contributions. Even the "fun" groups should stay. They are important for a big and healthy web community. The regional groups are probably a good way to coordinate local activities between members (festivals, concerts, sources for wood, tools, boxes).
    I agree that the navigation and the overview could be better. I don't know which possibilities the Ning network provides to improve this, but perhaps Shane knows... either way, no need to urge something until we have a real concept that could replace the actual group concept.
  • I'm with Rooster & Wes on this, the groups are important for individual types of instruments that have unique aspects for building/playing. What we have now could use a little consolidating into an easier to navigate format. I thoroughly enjoy the "Stupid" group, as do 26 other members, but its a little daunting to find info you need or remember where it was.
    I think there's room to cull a few of the 78 we have...$.02
  • I got an idea [No kidding Wes...] :

Perhaps the bar owner here will review the groups and those that fail to meet certain criteria such as membership numbers, lack of or last date of activity, irrelevance, failure to produce anything of use to the overall community, or whatever he deems not fit... something such as that. Then post that these groups are slated for removal. The owners can be given the chance to agree or post a reason why it should remain.

Well, I will offer up CBG Tabs to be removed, but I see it actually had a post a day ago... Other than that, its rather dead.

$.50

-WY
  • I'm kinda on both sides here. I started the CBG Tabs group and if it gets removed, no problem, it doesn't get much attention anyhow. But I think there are some really good groups here -- Secrets of the CBG Underground, CBG Building 101 and the Recording Studio (and yes, Ted's Mad Scientist Lab) for example. Great community focus groups. I would hate to lose the most important groups, but honestly most of them can be... well... a waste of bandwidth.
This reply was deleted.