Ok so I've got a build done and I get some hum. It goes away when I touch the output jack which seems to indicate a grounding issue. It was recommended that I ground to the strings by either running a wire to a meal tail piece or a metal saddle. Problem, I don't have either. Strings run through the tailpiece and over an imitation bone saddle. So what other methods of grounding might work? 

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 306307526?profile=originalThis is how I ground the strings when a metal tailpiece is not involved. Bolt that runs thru the body is connected on the inside to the jack.

http://bscbg.com/for-sale306308436?profile=original

• I read this thread through and as I guessed the volume and / or tone pots could be causing the hum, it is difficult to eliminate completely and even if properly grounded there is sill always, for me anyway, the trace of grounding hum.

In my years as a hi-fi enthusiast the first rule was always "signal path is king" and "less is more" ...many manufacturers even omitted tone controls from amp designs or at least a bypass switch from them for the cleanest sound.

Going back to CBG's I decided to eliminate the hum problem by losing the volume and tone pots completely on all but necessary situations where the pots were needed, most amps have far superior volume and tone controls on anyway,  so do we really need to fit them to our guitars?  It is not mandatory,  I have made and sold many potless hum-free builds without irritating unwanted noises in the background, except on the highest gain settings, just the sweet sound of the strings!  (-:

• Thanks for all the advice. I tried a different (and better) amp, plus added a couple strips of shielding tape to the inside of the boxes. I didn't completely shield the boxes just where the electric parts are closest to the box. Seems to have taken care of the issue. Now that all 4 are playing properly I can get them sold.

• I think my tailpiece design would solve your string grounding problem plus give you a better string bridge angle.  You could put an extra machine screw through the butt plate and put a grounding wire under the nut inside the box.  I use slots rather than holes so string changes are really quick.  I haven't had ground buzzing problems, but if I do I will add the screw and ground wire.306310207?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

•       the Brick House build

On this build I used a brass rod with a small hole drilled in the end, there I soldered the grounding wire into.  Plus the round rod helps in a nice string break to the string pin`s.

• Here is my solution, as I also use a wooden tailpiece and wood (and bone) bridge:

306306418?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024So... I stick some copper tape (I have also used sheet brass before, but the tape is much more conductive and easier to solder to) to the tailpiece and push the bike spoke nipples I use for string ferrules through it, so they are all in contact. The copper tape goes down to below the lid of the box where I solder a wire to it, which passes into the box and is connected to the back of the volume pot. Now the strings are grounded you can eliminate buzz by touching the strings.

Remember this will only work with single coil pickups. I have never needed to ground the strings with a piezo.

Also remember there's a difference between buzz and hum. Buzz is the reason we ground the strings. You can't do anything about hum (ambient noise from power sockets/dimmers/computers) except for shielding, but I've never felt the need to do that either.

Hope this helps!

• So that's what youre using for ferrules!I knew you guys weren't paying $10 for 6.I have boxes of spokes,Thanks for the tip as well as the copper tape trick.

Only thing I like that comes from a guitar shop is tuners and strings,everything else is found or home depot.

• if anyone is wondering where to get copper tape, try your local garden centre, you use it to protect against snails,slugs in your plant pots..i sometimes use it for shielding..

• You can always find it on ebay as well.I got a bunch for cheap when I built my slot car track.

• Plus you get to enjoy the benefit of a slug free guitar :-)
This reply was deleted.