Replies

• hey just throw the through body design out the window. make it like a real acoustic! the sound is better, though a little more complex the cool factor is there. hey then put a nice deep hand spun cone in it!!
  • sorry still getting the hang of this

P1010409 (Large).JPG

• here is the last one I did.. nothing special... used a tool...
  • here is the last one I did.. nothing spoecial... used a tool...
  • No Rules.... mean's where ever it works for you and the cool idea you have... that's it...
  • Excellent advise! do you have suggestions on bridge placement?
    Many thanks,
    braxton

Iggy said:
    The recess in the pic Wes posted will make quite a bit of difference in the sound it puts out. You just have to make sure the bridge is in the right spot so the vibrations get transferred to the part of the lid that is over the recess.
  • Like Jerry most of my builds are set up so I can pull the strings,unscrew a few screws and open the box.Some dont work this way due to the style of box sometimes but its the way I go when I can.
  • I like the fact that everything is fixed in the box so that way, I can take the lid off and work on stuff on the inside if I have too. My Philly box lid is just held on by wood screws and I can take them out, take out the lid (from under the strings) and put it back no problem. As far as this goes, if you like this idea, the electronics can be atatched to the lid, just as long as the everything else is under that, glued/screwed or what ever in the box....makes for easy maintance.
  • I do attach the lid there. Sometimes I glue, sometimes I screw... it on that is (he he). I have had no problems with durability. I have even gone so far as to screw/glue the neck to the bottom of the box and attach the lid in another manner but usually within the lid recess.

-WY

marcianx said:
    Wes Yates said:
    Eh? Can you send a pic? Not sure what you mean by "little space between lid and neck". I usually attach the neck to the lid but I also put in 1/8" sound recess.

-WY

Do you attach the neck to the lid at just the 'lid recess' area (as indicated)? That appears to be a total of 1.5" of lid/neck contact, is that enough contact area to keep the box lid attached to the neck -- durably? Do you just glue the neck to the lid or do you attach using another method?
  • Dude 2 thoughts.. I make braces on the inside of the box and attach the 1x2 to these... close the lid... THEN add a 1/4 / 2inch onto the neck... This way I only make straight cuts, and drill the holes,and the neck is level with the top of the box...I made one that touched and one that didn't... either way the only way I figured out how to open the box in the end was to take the strings off... Good Luck..
This reply was deleted.