I've built quite a few of these things now.  I'd put each in one of two categories...

1) Protruding neck

• Through neck with strings going into the part of the neck that is sticking out other end.

2) Non-Protruding neck

• Strings going through surface of box then going through neck.

Although I like the way group two looks, I find that the first group sounds much louder.

Has anyone figured on the best way to build these things so that you can maximize volume?  I know the size of box matters & the action matters. 

What about where the strings are housed in relation to the box?

Desiena Final 2.jpg

DSCN0136.JPG

100_0557.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My 2 cents, I think the strings thru the box lid are dampening the lid movement some and would quiet it down a bit. It may make it sound good thru an amp though. Taking the strings to the back, either thru the neck tail or to a tailpiece lets the lid (soundboard) vibrate better, resulting in a louder cbg. Strings thru the box does look neat though.
  • All those bridges are different as well. Isolate some of the variables to determine which has the most effect on volume. Given the sample of 3 nice builds, there are no constants to compare.
  • Some of those boxes are pretty thick, and thats going to negatively effect the acoustic response. Certainly the size variation as well. Also unknown is your internal construction techniques. Top floating independant of the neck?

Also I must consider this. The bridge design you use transfers sound by tension down on the top. The string thru mounting is tension pulling up on the top? Perhaps this is somewhat counterproductive for acoustic output? Never really looked at that consideration.

But yes, nice looking work!

• Nice looking builds. I think that al lot of the volume difference you hear may be due to the box dimensions and the added length/tension of the 6 strings on the "tail through" design. I would think that the one with the sharp break angle over the bridge would sound loud as well, but the box may be smaller/thicker. Just my two cents.
This reply was deleted.