Replies

• I also think any tuner needs a bushing to support the shaft.

• yes looked at your pic. Looks like the tuner back is not lying flat on headstock. This can cause the body of the tuner to twist and strip when tuning. My guess is keep the hole perpendicular to the headstock. My  2 cents - hope this helps.

Wade

• i find the budget ones from gitty (which are probably the same) very satisfactory for the most part.   I have had one or two that were duds and i threw away after using several hundred.  I totally agree with chookybones, you gotta do real clean holes to make the budget ones work well.  the schaller / gotoh copy kinda ones with the nut top are far preferable for a regular guitar head, i only use the budget open gear ones so much b'cos i do so many slot heads, they work well in slot heads and getting the nut in from inside the slot can be painful on the others. 

• see what picking brains does,tiniest of tight spots due to as mentioned my freehand drilling , at least lesson learned ,and thank you all very much great community .

• A spot of light oil or a dab of Vaseline won't do any harm...inevitably they are never lubed when they are assembled in the factory, and I always put a drop of oil on mine when I install them. If you feel ANY resistance when turning the button...DON'T force it..this sort of thing feels completely different to the string coming up to pitch.  These pressed steel chassis tuners are far more prone to the posts binding in the hole than the screw-down bushing type of machinehead....but I have had a couple of  "rogue" sets of the enclosed type...where the cogs were binding..I couldn't do anything but throw them away and put on a fresh set.

• If you can get in to the back of them like these using molybdenum disulphide grease or copper slip is good. Even if it dries out it keeps lubricating. On sealed tuners I flood them with a penetrant spray such as Starrett M1 and give it time to dry out a bit and stop weeping all over the place.

• Good photo showing it.   Had the gears in the right direction.   May have to file this under  'shit happens.'  Hope you have another tuner.   Good wishes.

• Like rockcity says, I would double check the size of the hole and make sure you can drop the tuning peg into the hole and that you don't have to tap it in or force it.

I have used economy tuners for 3 years now and over 100 builds and never had one break off like that, but you never know.

• Definately check your peg hole, if  it is off enough to catch the peg tightly when spinning it will strip the gear. So you may need to widen that peg hole or make sure that it was drilled out evenly.

• I have also seen that the gears are not concentric. But still looks like they need a drop of oil.

This reply was deleted.