Gap on lid to fill

Discovered the hard way that cigar boxes with rounded lids do not make a flush closing top. How do you fill a gap where the fret board ends and top of lid starts? I have about a 1/2" gap between the two. Very frustrating as it is a good looking box and my first build.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Or just not worry about it at all.

• I run into that when I make CBGs using the Cohiba Vigaroso boxes. I cut the slot in the box, lay the neck in the slot and draw a pencil line along the curve, then cut the neck notch along that line so the notch in the neck matches the curvature of the box.

• I already cut neck to length, otherwise that would work
      Going to need to cut and fill in gap and affix fret board onto lid about 1" to hide
      I am a visual person so any pictures to help me understand this appreciated
    • 306418313?profile=original

Not to scale but...

just a quick sketch, but something like this, but a bit nicer/fancier, and make that box edge a feature.

• I like the Elephant in a Tutu approach--JL's idea.

Make the gap an attractive part of your design. If you have a router, find a bit that closely matches the contour of the box top and cut that same contour into your neck and fret board and neck. Could come out looking very unique (in a good way).

• another idea, display it...proudly.

cove cut or ogee  the end of the notch in the neck and the fingerboard to reveal and show off the fancy edge of the box.

As grandpappy always said: if you can't hide the elephant in the living room, make it wear a tutu!

• Micro pics below with two options, not sure how to increase
    • Yep just losing playable notes. As long as the scale remains the same. I am building a license plate guitar and it will only have 18 frets on a 25.25 scale.
    • Attached

image.jpg

• If you haven't already cut your headstock to length,i'd just cut the curve of the box out and butt the neck against the small vertical face

This reply was deleted.