My first build is a banjo ukulele based on a rectangular cookie tin. I want to fret it, because I want to use this instrument to learn to play the uke.

I originally planned to do zip tie frets, but my test runs reveal that they are wide, don't lie flat, and are just plain ugly. I've read some threads on CBN about fret alternatives, and given several ideas some thought. I don't want to buy fret wire because I'm cheap. :-)

I have some 18ga wire, and I'm thinking about spiraling it around the neck. I'd make V-shaped grooves on either side of the fingerboard at the proper position, so the wire would lie flat across the board, but would run diagonally across the back of the neck to the next fret.

Has anyone tried something like this? I can't imagine I'm the first to think of it. Pros? Cons?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I've completed my uke (well, almost. Need to build a taller bridge) and there are photos here:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/album/show?id=2592684%3AAlbum%3...

Here's a bonus pic of the back of the fretboard:

305791257?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• tumblr_m0s5fr5QzS1qetzi1?width=500Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've added a fretboard that I trimmed from an old 2x4 and whittled down to size. The wire is spiral-wrapped around in groups. Here it is being glued.

We'll see how this all sounds once I have the instrument together.

• My best answer is skewers- they work great on Ukes. For wire wrapping - There is a site that has one of my wire wrapped guitars on it - interesting site for low budget builds :  cyberferal.com 

My experience with wire wrapping is:

- it takes about the same amount of time as putting in frets (but does look cool)

-wrapping wire on the lower frets is a bit tricky because of wide angle of wire as it is wrapped and is best done on hardwood because the wire crushes the wood and loosens the wire

-the last note that prevented me from wrapping wire for frets any further is that the wire never really lays flat on the fingerboard. There is a bit of spring in the wire that I could never get rid of and affected the tone (in a bad way)

Like others have said  - it's easy to fret once you know a a few tricks -I have found that an absolute flat fretboard and cleaning out the fret slots before installing frets is a must.

good luck with your project

Wade

• Brian the barefoot Cajun did one about a year or so Ago maybe message him
  • If you have the resources, adding a "fingerboard" to the neck will also give you more room between the strings and top and provide more action adjustment options.

• Okay, I just want to play nicey nice...this method goes back to ancient times. http://www.whitetreeaz.com/guitar1650/fretknot.htm

Here is a little tip: My "Bob's your Uncle" oil drum banjitar has the frets wraped around the fingerboard first and then it is mounted to the neck. Having the fret wire on the back side of the neck, as you know makes sliding up and down the neck uncomfortable. It is really difficult to reinvent the wheel. Certainly there are possibilities, but in the long run the final product might have more issues that doesn't justify the ease of production. Enjoy, Keni Lee

http://youtu.be/8gKnxXrV7bo

Check out the site for more info.

• I agree with the Kid about fret wire, but also love DIY and doing stuff with what you already have and keeping the Queen of Finance happy always is a good thing. Rather that v shaped grooves, what do you think about cutting slots all the way across so that the wire sits about 1/2 way down into them? I think the slots would be faster/easier and would help keep the fret height low.

This reply was deleted.