Replies

• Nice. Right now I am on the lookout for something like that in clear or translucent.

My plan is to install an LED light inside the cigar box and then run a bunch of fibre optic lines under and through the fretboard so that I can light up the fretboard markers so that I can see what I am doing when I am playing out at campfire jam sessions.

If I can't find anything suitable in solid plastic then plan B is just to drill the holes and fill them with 5 minute epoxy; that should be clear enough to get the job done.

• You could go the low-tech route...  Install clear plastic rod, and expose both ends, or the sides... They'd pickup campfire and glow...

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Sto...

060_colored_rod.jpg?width=250

Got the idea from my son's bb-gun sight...  Daisy Buck... they have them at Wal-mart if you need to see how it works...

• Thanks for the link John and Greg the fiber optic and LED idea is cool !
  • I just use a soldering iron with the end ground off.works for me and cant get any cheaper.

• Hey, I like the b-b's idea!

• I forgot about this:  My son gave me some airsoft BB's... they're plastic, come in varied colors, but are bigger and better suited for top markers...   Drill a small hole, pound them in and sand them flush...  BB's... hmmm... I have some here somewhere...

• One of the markers in a piece of scrap and my fret debur/polish jig an old eraser drafting shield and a mini wire wheel on the Dremel tool.

image.jpg

• I know I'm dumb, but...

can ya' explain what this is and how it works?

(Is this for trimming the sides of the fretboard?)

• Thanks all. Good ideas. I gotta try the BBs. Also impressed by the drafting shield protector idea. I've got a couple of those stuck away somewhere.

Now, how do I find "styrene" strips that I can use to "bind" the fretboard edges? So far Hobby Lobby and Michael's haven't had what I want. Who uses this stuff? Cabinet guys? Model airplane guys?

Notice I'm too cheap to go to StewMac and buy bindings. That would be cheating.

• I haven't seen plastic strips for the model plane industry... a lot of hong-kong based cheapo supply places sell plastic binding stuff...if you can wait 4 weeks...

Ebay...  I am seeing Canadian supplier for $10 you can get 5 feet of abs or celluloid...  or the Chinese stuff for next to nothing....  not sure how I feel about that...

This reply was deleted.