Seems whenever I order fret wire it comes wrapped into a tight roll and woven to hold it into that tight roll.  This is done in spite of my sending a message, with my order, to NOT bend, weave and roll tight to fit a smaller package.  I was waiting for some wire to arrive so I could finish a couple builds I have going.  It shows up but its had the smeg bent out of it, so I contacted the seller to complain.  Long story short the fix isn't going to happen soon, aargghh...

So...  off to the hardware store.  Bought some #6 finishing washers, three brass machine screws, some washers and I had some bearings left over from the days when I flew RC heli's...  Simple assemble on a piece of hardwood and shazaam...  a fret wire straightener.  Works well enough to get the wire back to being usable again.

The two bottom holes I drilled are an inch apart.  The upper middle hole is 3/8ths from center of the two bottom holes.  By loosening the screws a little the wire can be fed in.  Once in tighten them enough so you can pull the wire thru.  The more times and tighter the screws the straighter the wire will get.  Cost me $4.and change to build, build time...  15 min... 

20160602_100214_resized.jpg

20160602_100233_resized.jpg

20160602_100418_resized.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm not crazy about stew mac but they ship their fret wire straight. if you cut it close one piece will give about 14 frets. I buy the bulk pack......much cheaper than buying single pieces

• Dandy tool you made.

I like my wire already bent. To me, it's easier to  press/pound/beat in than the straight wire. To each his own.

BTW StewMac sells wire in straight lengths.

• looks as good as the commercial fret wire benders

• I love a good, home built fixture. It does the job right and shows that you understand how things work.

Nice piece. Thanks1

This reply was deleted.