I've built about 20 CBGs and I'm wondering what size fret wire everyone seems to like the best. I don't recall what size I'm using, but I believe it's a taller/wider wire. I'm thinking a smaller wire will save me some time filing the fret ends, but I wonder what the drawbacks might be. Any advice out there?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I tend to like the tall and wide Jumbo wire, but it can be an issue at the higher frets being closer together. Don't have that problem with the thin/tall wire or the medium wire.

• For short scales (ukes, mandolins)  use smaller fret wire.   If you do not do this, fretting the a taller fret on a short scale will pull the note (and chord) sharper or just plain off.    (As Scott aka Farmer Ted said).

I like mediums for CBGs and in general.  

Jumbos are dandy for long scales. 

• Thanks guys!
  • My general rule is... jumbo for basses, medium for regular scale CBGs and thin for short scale builds like strummers and canjoes.

the trick is to start with a super flat fretboard, then you won't be spending time chasing fret buzzing and leveling frets.

• In my last couple of builds, when I glue the fretboard to the neck, I clamp it all together on a nice aluminum level. It makes the neck super flat. I had no issues with buzzing whatsoever
  • You are unlikely to notice any measurable difference in the level of effort to finish the ends.  Taller frets are more forgiving when doing a bar chord.

• The reason you give for changing is not really relevant, any extra end dressing for the sake of a bigger section of fret wire is so miniscule that i've probably spent more on coal for electricity in replying

• Lol. I guess you're probably right. I've built maybe 20 or so and still consider myself very new. I have no musical experience at all, so learning to build one of these takes some learning on how they play too I think. There is always something new to learn. Thanks!!
This reply was deleted.