Thought it would be nice to have this all in one place.

Most dulcimers include the following frets from the chromatic (all of 'em) fingerboard:

0 2 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 - octave 1

12, 14, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24- octave 2

24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36 - octave 3

I also use a simplified one:

0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12, etc.

For both of those, you can capo up to the 2 fret and also play in minor.

And here is the blues-cimer. I just made two and the are lots of fun to play, you can easily use Shane's videos over in "how to play" to get lots of ideas for improvising.

0 3 5 7 10 12 (optional 6) (edited 1/26/10 to include 5!)

Views: 7416

Replies to This Discussion

Is there anyone here who can give me a place to find fingerboard template for my dulcimer?
Hi all.  Been building dulcimers about 35 yrs. Build a more traditional shape, elleptical which is far older than the hour glass,though I do build any shape if someone wants it.Have a web site at annsartannex.com. Back when I started everyone tuned Gccc low to high. Have a class tomorrow at the college to teach dulcimer history and trad style playing, now called noter and drone. Do not want to be critical but DAc is aeolian tuning. Gets real confusing so most players just say DAd or whatever.
try WFRET and tell it the scale length then use the frets suggested earlier on this discussion.

Rusty Shackleford ( Mike ) said:
Is there anyone here who can give me a place to find fingerboard template for my dulcimer?

Hi Guys

You will think I'm a bit thick,as I understand it you use 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12 frets from the normal guitar fret board but this leavs you 4 frets short on your picking stick fret board and what is a blues-cimer Mal

Yes, you don't need those frets.  Keep the spacing the same and just leave off the 1, 3, etc.  The "12th" fret is in the same place as it would be on a regular chromatic fingerboard, only now it is #7 if you are counting from the  bridge.

Yes I understand that Diane but after you use 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12 you are frets short after you have used those ,when you are fitting frets going to wards the bridge.just say a normal guitar goes up to 19 frets, which frets do you use from those to finish the fretting on a strum stick'.

What is a Blues-Cimer??  Mal

Lately I've growing more and more interested in one of these insturments, but had always wondered about the fret placement. This pretty much answered all my questions. Thanks

Octave 1: 0 2 4 5 7 9 10 11 12

Octave 2: 12, 14, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24

Octave 3: 24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36

And by then you've pretty much arrived at the bridge!

A blues-cimer, or blues-stick plays only the blues. Wichita Sam made a vid of one, you'd have to search his vids.  Mine are all gone.  It uses the traditional blues scale on a guitar.  A much different sound, and just as fun to play.

Hi, As a beginner I would just like to get the blues scale right and ask if this is right

0-3-5-7-10-12-15-20-22-25-27. I do realise to the experianced builder it seem easy but to an old begginer like my self it can be a little confusing Mal  (UK)

Hi Mal.

The first octave of the blues scale is 0-3-5-7-10-12 with an optional fret 6 (as recommended by Tres Seaver in this thread about the blues-cimer scale originally posted by 'Diane in Chicago' ). To get the second octave, just add 12 to each fret number of the first octave. This yeilds: 12-15-17-19-22-24 with an optional fret 18. So, for the complete 2 octaves, you will use frets 0-3-5-6-7-10-12-15-17-18-19-22-24 from the set of frets used in the standard chromatic guitar. Be aware that you don't have to implement fret 0 if you are already using a nut. Here fret 0 is used to indicate that the open string is also a member of the set of notes/frets used in the blues scale.

Also, if you are building one of these and want to implement the full two octaves, you will likely need a long neck (scale length) so the space between the frets way up the neck are usable, and you may need to use a short box (or turn the box 90 degrees) to maximize neck space for your blues scale fretboard.

-Rand.

Hi Rand

Rand Moore said:

Hi Mal.I would like to use a 24 1/2" scale length will this be long enough or do I need to use the two full octaves

The first octave of the blues scale is 0-3-5-7-10-12 with an optional fret 6 (as recommended by Tres Seaver in this thread about the blues-cimer scale originally posted by 'Diane in Chicago' ). To get the second octave, just add 12 to each fret number of the first octave. This yeilds: 12-15-17-19-22-24 with an optional fret 18. So, for the complete 2 octaves, you will use frets 0-3-5-6-7-10-12-15-17-18-19-22-24 from the set of frets used in the standard chromatic guitar. Be aware that you don't have to implement fret 0 if you are already using a nut. Here fret 0 is used to indicate that the open string is also a member of the set of notes/frets used in the blues scale.

Also, if you are building one of these and want to implement the full two octaves, you will likely need a long neck (scale length) so the space between the frets way up the neck are usable, and you may need to use a short box (or turn the box 90 degrees) to maximize neck space for your blues scale fretboard.

-Rand.

Hi Mal,

I think an octave and a half would be plenty, and it would make it easier to construct an instrument around. To get a better picture, you could use a fret calculator to see how many frets you can go before the fret-to-fret distance gets too narrow. I've done this for you already, and here's my results:

Assuming you can find a 9" long cigar box, you can put frets 0 thru 17 on the neck. If you extend the fretboard over the sound box by maybe 1.5", you should be able to put frets 18 and 19 on your fretboard without too much trouble. The fret-to-fret distance at fret 19 is just a tad under 0.5", so I'd go for it.

So, in summary, try using guitar frets 0, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 18 and 19 to implement your blues scale. You should be able to do it on a 9" long cigar box and 16.5" long fretboard that overlaps the sound box by roughly 1.5". Hope this helps.

-Rand.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

making my first dulcimer/strumstick/ kind of thing,

Started by GARAGE HERMIT. Last reply by GARAGE HERMIT Mar 30, 2022. 2 Replies

Miniature dulci-tar for young child

Started by Richey Kay. Last reply by James Conder Jan 14, 2018. 11 Replies

Mountain dulcimer phaser type sound?

Started by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear. Last reply by QGolden Sep 15, 2016. 17 Replies

Need sources to buy dulcimer soundboard wood

Started by Dano Schultz. Last reply by Dano Schultz Sep 10, 2016. 5 Replies

New to all of this.

Started by Kirk Bolas. Last reply by Gordon Cooper Aug 2, 2016. 3 Replies

Newest Dulcitar

Started by Greg Thompson Jul 19, 2016. 0 Replies

"Evolving" dulcimer fret patterns?

Started by Habanera Hal. Last reply by Greg Thompson Jul 7, 2016. 12 Replies

Completed my first strummer/Dulcitar

Started by Greg Thompson. Last reply by Paul Craig Sep 7, 2015. 6 Replies

playing question

Started by Truth Instruments. Last reply by Truth Instruments Aug 30, 2015. 6 Replies

Strum stick

Started by Bobby Fields. Last reply by Seth Tabberer Aug 21, 2015. 5 Replies

newbie help

Started by stav. Last reply by Ellwood T. Bear Apr 6, 2015. 3 Replies

Mountain Dulcimer Necks

Started by Bluesheart. Last reply by Bluesheart Apr 1, 2015. 10 Replies

What about a blues-cimer?

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Brown Water Jerry (Rice) Nov 10, 2014. 21 Replies

Fret Spacing - standard and not

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Jesse Halter Jul 1, 2014. 57 Replies

Dulci scale length

Started by Bluesheart. Last reply by Bluesheart Nov 24, 2013. 9 Replies

my first strummer

Started by Bad Wolf. Last reply by Battmann Aug 31, 2013. 6 Replies

just finished this little stick strummer

Started by jeff burgoyne. Last reply by Scott aka Farmer Ted Jun 17, 2013. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
21 minutes ago
Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

The Robert Johnson fight whit the devil, and there he was , standing on the Crossroads, waiting to meet the Guy that was going to change his way's, did he w...
10 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
" That's what I  thought!"
10 hours ago
Sam Beavers left a comment for BrianQ.
"Thanks Brian !!"
10 hours ago
AGP # liked David Hopkins's photo
16 hours ago
AGP # liked David Hopkins's photo
16 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->