Thought it would be nice to have this all in one place.

Most dulcimers include the following frets from the chromatic (all of 'em) fingerboard:

0 2 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 - octave 1

12, 14, 16, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24- octave 2

24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36 - octave 3

I also use a simplified one:

0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12, etc.

For both of those, you can capo up to the 2 fret and also play in minor.

And here is the blues-cimer. I just made two and the are lots of fun to play, you can easily use Shane's videos over in "how to play" to get lots of ideas for improvising.

0 3 5 7 10 12 (optional 6) (edited 1/26/10 to include 5!)

Views: 7412

Replies to This Discussion

"And here is the blues-cimer. I just made two and the are lots of fun to play, you can easily use Shane's videos over in "how to play" to get lots of ideas for improvising.

0 3 7 10 12 (optional 6)"

Why wouldn't you have the 5th fret on a "Blues-cimer (lol, i like that name)

With the blues scale being the minor pentatonic.
Root - Minor 3rd - 4th - 5th -7th - Octave (0 3 5 7 10 12 frets)
Plus the "Blue Note" which is the Flat 5. (0 3 5 6 7 10 12 frets)

So without the 5th and the 6th fret it would be a 4 tone scale or quartertonic (made up word) instead of pentatonic.

And if you add the 5th fret, but no 6th, then it's the minor pentatonic and not the "blues" scale...

Or am i missing something in the Dulcimer translation? Not being a butt-head, i'm genuinely curious.
I dont have and have never played a dulcimer, but I know just from noodling on the strumstick that the 10th fret (flat 7) is useful even in basic 1/5/1 tuning. Its where the differential between the 1 and the 5 comes into play..

So essentially you use this fret for the second string but the one after for strings 1 & 3..

If you look at a piano, there are 7 white notes and 5 black ones, and the black ones are grouped in a pair and a trio..
Yes, we are just leaving out the black keys, but because one of our strings is turned to the 5th, one of its black notes, and one of its white notes are in a different place.. this is that extra white note for that string...

I hope that makes sense..

(edit / addition)
this rule holds true across all modes and will actually become more important as you incorporate a capo and experiment with modes..

I love the idea of using a capo on a diatonic fretboard to explore modes btw and have been doing it for a couple of years. You really can find some new sounds instantly its great. One idea that fascinates me is having say a strumstick in g (as I do) and building for example a dorian mode one in A or a phrygian mode one in B for jamming together.. These are the same notes, but with different reference or pivot point only.

Diane in Chicago said:
better link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxSGyjbo-4k and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3RObNJWGo
Diane in Chicago said:
And this is why the optional #10 comes in handy, when you are tuning ionian (DAC)
http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/video/blue-hand-medieval-song
So instead of fretting the 5th, (of the scale not the fret) you just play the open string that's tuned to the 5th?

They (according to Dianes chart) have a 5th fret on the regular Dulcimer, so since it is also part of the blues, and minor pentatonic scale, i cant understand leaving it off a "Blues scale" version of the dulcimer.

Jef Long said:

Diane in Chicago said:
better link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxSGyjbo-4k

and:

Diane in Chicago said:
And this is why the optional #10 comes in handy, when you are tuning ionian (DAC)
She's already got the 5th.. on the other string ;) main thing is she has the blue notes (a flat 3 and a flat 7,) and a root note to resolve em too.. By leaving out the 2 and the 6 she is transcending modes, could be any of the 3 minor modes (and will in fact work in 3 minor keys.. ;)

A scale is just a collection of notes, u know? these instruments are limited by definition, but the other side of the coin is they're super easy to play, you can pass them around to people who dont know much about music at all, kids etc.. And even saying they're limited, that doesn't mean they cant make great music at all.. If you have a few instruments, guitars or whatever then you know each one has a personality or whatever that manifests not only in its sound, but in the kind of things it inspires you to play on it.. Ripping a fret out or pulling a string off or altering the tuning is, at least for me, a fantastic way to make an instrument unique and impact on its voice u know ?

Randy Webb said:
So instead of fretting the 5th, (of the scale not the fret) you just play the open string that's tuned to the 5th?

They (according to Dianes chart) have a 5th fret on the regular Dulcimer, so since it is also part of the blues, and minor pentatonic scale, i cant understand leaving it off a "Blues scale" version of the dulcimer.

Jef Long said:

Diane in Chicago said:
better link:

and:

Diane in Chicago said:
Yes, I did use the 5.

So we have

0 3 5 7 10 12

I'll edit the discussion to show that.

Thanks.

I based this on Shane's video #2 under Free Resources at the top of this page.

Randy Webb said:

Jef Long said:

Diane in Chicago said:
better link:

and:

Diane in Chicago said:
You are way more sophisticated about this stuff than me, I went with what worked. But yes, the 5 belongs in, and I had it on my blues-cimers. But it did not make it into the post ;-)

Randy Webb said:
"And here is the blues-cimer. I just made two and the are lots of fun to play, you can easily use Shane's videos over in "how to play" to get lots of ideas for improvising.
0 3 7 10 12 (optional 6)"
Why wouldn't you have the 5th fret on a "Blues-cimer (lol, i like that name)

With the blues scale being the minor pentatonic.
Root - Minor 3rd - 4th - 5th -7th - Octave (0 3 5 7 10 12 frets)
Plus the "Blue Note" which is the Flat 5. (0 3 5 6 7 10 12 frets)

So without the 5th and the 6th fret it would be a 4 tone scale or quartertonic (made up word) instead of pentatonic.

And if you add the 5th fret, but no 6th, then it's the minor pentatonic and not the "blues" scale...

Or am i missing something in the Dulcimer translation? Not being a butt-head, i'm genuinely curious.
Diane,
Thanks for clearing that up.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to make it who's right who's wrong thing, I was genuinely trying to wrap my head around it.

I had been thinking about making some dulcimers and knew nothing about them and that's how I ended up here. I am a blues guy so when I saw "blues-cimer" I got excited at the possibility that hadn't even occured to me before while learning about dulcimers.

So thanks all, for helping me get my head around it. (A little anyway)
Thank YOU! This has been up for a while, and you are the first to notice the missing five!

Randy Webb said:
Diane,
Thanks for clearing that up.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to make it who's right who's wrong thing, I was genuinely trying to wrap my head around it.

I had been thinking about making some dulcimers and knew nothing about them and that's how I ended up here. I am a blues guy so when I saw "blues-cimer" I got excited at the possibility that hadn't even occured to me before while learning about dulcimers.

So thanks all, for helping me get my head around it. (A little anyway)
A pentatonic built in is a great idea regardless..
A basic major pentatonic say 1,2,4,5,6 or 1,2,3,4,6 would be super too..
thanks for the info Diane - thats great. I love my Frankendulcimer but to have a Blue-Cimer would be great...
OK, I'm lost. I'm building my grand daugther an 18" (46mm) diatonic scale CBG. I used the Stewart MacDonald on line fret calculator for a Dulcimer. I have 12 frets listed with measurements -- so is everyone here saying I should leave out some of the frets? If so, which ones? Which frets would be best to keep for a 6 yr old? My printout it shows fret 8 as an octave, so what should I do with it? Or should I just put all the frets on the fretboard and not worry about removing any of them?
if you used the "dulcimer" setting on the stewmac calculator, you already have left out the frets. Standard chromatic fretting has 12 to the octave. Dulcimer has 8. Use what you have and you are good to go.

Mike Willmouth said:
OK, I'm lost. I'm building my grand daugther an 18" (46mm) diatonic scale CBG. I used the Stewart MacDonald on line fret calculator for a Dulcimer. I have 12 frets listed with measurements -- so is everyone here saying I should leave out some of the frets? If so, which ones? Which frets would be best to keep for a 6 yr old? My printout it shows fret 8 as an octave, so what should I do with it? Or should I just put all the frets on the fretboard and not worry about removing any of them?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

making my first dulcimer/strumstick/ kind of thing,

Started by GARAGE HERMIT. Last reply by GARAGE HERMIT Mar 30, 2022. 2 Replies

Miniature dulci-tar for young child

Started by Richey Kay. Last reply by James Conder Jan 14, 2018. 11 Replies

Mountain dulcimer phaser type sound?

Started by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear. Last reply by QGolden Sep 15, 2016. 17 Replies

Need sources to buy dulcimer soundboard wood

Started by Dano Schultz. Last reply by Dano Schultz Sep 10, 2016. 5 Replies

New to all of this.

Started by Kirk Bolas. Last reply by Gordon Cooper Aug 2, 2016. 3 Replies

Newest Dulcitar

Started by Greg Thompson Jul 19, 2016. 0 Replies

"Evolving" dulcimer fret patterns?

Started by Habanera Hal. Last reply by Greg Thompson Jul 7, 2016. 12 Replies

Completed my first strummer/Dulcitar

Started by Greg Thompson. Last reply by Paul Craig Sep 7, 2015. 6 Replies

playing question

Started by Truth Instruments. Last reply by Truth Instruments Aug 30, 2015. 6 Replies

Strum stick

Started by Bobby Fields. Last reply by Seth Tabberer Aug 21, 2015. 5 Replies

newbie help

Started by stav. Last reply by Ellwood T. Bear Apr 6, 2015. 3 Replies

Mountain Dulcimer Necks

Started by Bluesheart. Last reply by Bluesheart Apr 1, 2015. 10 Replies

What about a blues-cimer?

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Brown Water Jerry (Rice) Nov 10, 2014. 21 Replies

Fret Spacing - standard and not

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Jesse Halter Jul 1, 2014. 57 Replies

Dulci scale length

Started by Bluesheart. Last reply by Bluesheart Nov 24, 2013. 9 Replies

my first strummer

Started by Bad Wolf. Last reply by Battmann Aug 31, 2013. 6 Replies

just finished this little stick strummer

Started by jeff burgoyne. Last reply by Scott aka Farmer Ted Jun 17, 2013. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
57 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
1 hour ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
3 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->