Fret size?

I've made 2, fretless 3-stringers now and really want to make the leap to fretting, but am nervous. Currently building a Ukelele that I would like to practice this on due to its short scale. I saw somewhere that you could use the metal strips found in windshield wipers, which I have. The question is, for a first timer at this, what are the best options/choices? Which fret wire is best (low/medium/high), easiest to work with to start? Thanks in advance!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I use medium on all my builds,CBG's and ukes.The only exception was a lute with nylon line tied around the neck to make each fret.

I have a very old mandolin that has brass strip in each fret slot just like your wiper idea,been meaning to do this on a CBG for some time.

• Jumbo is more for blues style string bending on a 6 string guitar. I also use medium on CBGs. I like Stew Mac's fret wire. I haven't tried CB Gitty's.

You can practice on a scrap board first until you get the hang of it. That way, if you screw up, you won't be messing up your uke.

• I like gittys wire over stew Mac the tang on stew Mac is way to small I like a med med on 3 and 4 string and a medium jumbo low profile on s 6
  • medium / regular.  You can use it for everything.  Some people have a preference but it all works just go for it once you got the right saw and jig its pretty painless

• Thanks for the input.
This reply was deleted.