Replies

• I'm using old knitting needles.  Search how to make "mosaic knife pins" for the copper tube idea.

• Wow Jason, I went on a two hour worm trail into mosaic pins!  Never seen them before, very cool.

• Airsoft pellets. Drill a shallow hole about half the thickness of the pellet and a hair smaller in diameter. Superglue and a soft mallet to drive them in. Wait till the glue is fully set and sand away. White or black, just a few $ for hundreds at the sporting goods store.

• It might be more fun to shoot the fretboard with BB's. LOL

That is a good idea Hal and they come in lots of colors too.

• Another method I've seen is drill a hole, fill it with glue and whatever color of glitter you want, let it dry and sand flat.

• I found that if you just add it into a hole the surrounding grain picks it up and makes it look blotchy.... I just added my fret markers.... a lot of work but fun..

IMG_3682.JPG

• I use small diamond core drill bits to make cheap traditional mother of pearl markers from oyster and abalone shell. To make all your abalone shell flash at the same time just work out which direction it flashes best in and arrange them all in the same direction.

I also got the Weller wood burning soldering iron set which has  various branding tips. 

• I have used brass screws countersunk. You have to be careful. Pre drill. Pre countersink. Then pre fit with steel screws. The brass screws will snap if tightened hard.

I also use brass rod from a hobby shop. I forget the dimension, but it is the largest that I can cut with my snips. Just drill a hole. Put some glue on the rod. Hammer it in with a soft mallet. Snip off. I then bring it down flush with the surface using a belt sander after the glue sets.
  • I have used plastic rods, wood, wood burned, tacks, home made clay dots, I get best results with wood. I am going to use clay dots in the uke I am currently working on. still so many great ideas to try.

• Thumbtacks are easy. If you go to a bead shop there will be some interesting options. Temporary tattoos. I like the foil behind pick idea. I have not used it on fret markers but have use it with glass beads for decoration, works well.

This reply was deleted.