Replies

• I have used small pieces of thick soft metal wire for side markers that I filed smooth and inserted in holes in the neck. Cheap, available and easy to work.

• 306289256?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024bit out of focus but ...

• I usually use 5mm abalone black or white shell dots up the side of the neck, just drill a 5mm hole a couple of mm deep, they glue in really easily!  alternative there is the "burn in" method for light woods, just reverse the soldering iron tip for perfectly round marker dots (-:

• I know a few builders who use plastic golf tees { the stem part, not the cup part } drilled in and cut off and smoothed down. They look the dogs bollocks and very professional, I don't know if anyone plays golf in America? :>}

• Still got the slot or cross(phillips) in the middle. How about flathead cu or al rivets ? Looks like a screw with no ctr hole. Don't see why either wouldn't work though.

• Well, my 2 cents worth.   Side fret markers work best for me.   I can just plain see them more easily when I'm playing.  Especially in dark conditions as often happens.    And something with contrast in color.   I have a walnut neck git  (dark) with 1/8 inch light colored dowels for side fret markers.  Works good.

I got to play a couple of songs during Justin Johnson's break this week.  The 'stage' area was kind of dark.  I had a black neck guitar with side fret markers in red.   Not enough contrast for me to see - and for IVI gits, (GDg), I need to see the markers.   I got by, but white would have been better contrast.  

For my 'relic' gits, the markers don't have to be 'slick and pretty'.   I might just drill a shallow hole and daub in paint.

• I use screws i n all my fretless necks.No problems.306129466?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I love Randy's idea of having changeable fretboards for dulci or fully fretted, orI guess fretless too if you wanted!!

• 306125268?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I used brass screws on the washboard build for 2 reasons. Their nice looking and I made 2 different fret boards, 1 dulci scale 1 guitar scale which can easily be switched using the screws. 25" scale length on the neck.

• All my builds are fretless. I do used cheater marks to help with slide positioning. And I have used nails, and I will say the drill press idea is a good one. A hand drill tends to slip around before it bites.

Also, I never put my marks on the front of the neck. I put them on the side facing up. I cant see them on the front while playing anyway.

[URL=http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Yankeedog/media/100_7305.jpg.html][IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/Yankeedog/100_7305.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This reply was deleted.