Replies

• Glad they worked out for you too. Post a picture!
  • I got the fret markers i ordered from ebay and put them on my latest build they are abalone and I swear it would be hard to tell if they are real or not. I would use them again.
  • I prefer to use 1/4" Mother of Pearl dots. These are really cheap on EBay and easy to install. The hard part is finding a 1/4" bit that will cut flat on the bottom. I solved this by taking a high speed, strait fluted router bit and flattened the bottom by chucking it into the drill press and using emery paper backed by a steel plate. By slowly lowering the it, the bit sands itself flat on the bottom. Installing the dots just require setting up a stop on the drill press so the holes are just slightly less deep than the dot is thick. Once drilled and glued in, you sand them flush with fine sandpaper.

• That looks great !! I ordered a set . Thanks for the photos.
  • I guess time will tell... So far not worried about them coming off. Could always put a coat of clear satin over it. For 6 bucks it was worth a try and I am very pleased with the results.
  • I would be worried about longevity. Im building my guitars to last, I'd be afraid the glue would give out over time. —B
  • Well call it cheating or call it what you will, but if you are looking to do a fancy fingerboard this is the only way to do it in about 5 minutes. Looks great and you'd be hard pressed to tell they're stickers!

• I do the same as Wes; I punch 1/4" circles from flatpicks (Fender large triangles give you lots) and drill a precise hole with a forstner bit in a drill press. They look quite professional.
  • I just burn my markers in on the fingerboard, on the sides I have used toothpicks and bamboo skewers pushed into holes. Old school.
  • I prefer the real thing because I want something that will last. I bought several sets of 5mm Abalone so they look proportionately correct to the 1.5 inch wide neck. And AJ is a great guy. There was a mixup with my order and he called me to make sure what the order consisted of. He's got several left. Tell him I sent ya.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Abalone-or-MOP-fret-markers-in-5-6-8-9mm-sizes-...
This reply was deleted.