Replies

• are you using standard frets and fret saws? If so, you shouldn't have to glue, just lightly hammer in.  I've heard folks say they put a small spot of super glue near the end of each tang.  I would do that if you feel the fret is still loose. That can happen especially if you don't have a luthier fret saw, most standard saws have too wide a blade for fret tangs.  The downside to superglue is if you need to replace a fret it can be difficult to remove.  don't know, haven't done it.  good luck

• Super glued frets are easy to remove. Just apply a little heat to the fret with a soldering iron and remove with fret pliers. Most glues and heat don't play well together.....take advantage of that. Guitar bridges, necks, fret boards, etc can all be removed with a reasonable application of heat. Heat softens the glue. That is why you can't take an ovation guitar apart because they they use some kind of epoxy (not exactly glue)

• I never glue frets and I haven't lost one yet.

Buy a real fret saw. 

It's worth it.

• Yup. One case where a proper luthier tool is almost indispensable.
    • I've got to agree with Rob. After using superglue on my first build and messing up the fretboard, I now just bang the frets in with a rubber mallet. As Rob says, I've never lost a fret either.

• My process has evolved from super glue into the slot.

Then I tried super glue along the fret wire.

The best so far has been to seal the wood surface of the fret board first, then super glue along the fret tang.

This way the excess glue doesn't stick or discolor my fret board and the frets stay put.

• No need to seal the fret board to prevent glue from sticking. Before installing frets wax the fret board and the super glue squeeze out will flake right off. When fret job is done wash down fret board with naphtha or mineral sports to remove the wax. Then oil fret board with whatever oil you like....I like lemon oil. And by the way you only need a little glue right on the tang of the fret not in the fret slot.

• Sounds great!

"Wax" as in Johnson's Paste Wax or "wax" as in paraffin?

• Yes as in johnsons paste wax......just try to aviod filling the fret slots with the wax .....very light coating.

wax on...glue pop off ....twang-san

• arigato

This reply was deleted.