Replies

• I have made a lot of Dots with a plug cutter in my drill press and pcv pipe. looks real nice and white !

• If I want it to look home made I use flat head screws

Some times I drill down a little bit and Fill the holes with paint

I've also bought abalone and Mother of pearl from stewart mac 

• When I want to get"fancy" I'll make "Mother of Bowling Ball" fretboard markers out of "Abalone" guitar picks. Used a paper punch, then drill shallow 1/4" holes, add a dab of glue and set in place. Very pretty.

• I have found a reground hole punch chucked in a drill lets me half punch half burn dots out of a piece of 1/8th" Ribbon Maple. Use about a 2x2" chip of Maple which splits away leaving a clean dot. Would never have thought of a punch Daryl. Thanks to all.
    I really enjoy the process of the build, and with help, perhaps learning to think outside the box. No pun intended.
  • I made a tutorial on how I made them using a tuning peg from a violin which are inexpensive to buy.

See the link below:

dot markers

• I just use a soldering iron tip reversed these days and burn them in, great results! :-)

• 306414392?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Bone rod split in half...the way I installed them they can be seen from the top and side

• I love that,

where do you buy bone rod?

• What kind of wood is that fretboard made of? Bocote?

• Duh, evidently still not getting the Reply steps right.

Thought I replied but don`t see it on site. The fret board is a StewMac Rosewood that`s a bit more open grain than I expected. Will still be fine. I managed to get birch dots in the right places and dressed smooth. After reading muuch and watching You tube vids till my eyes fell out, I`ve decided to glue up and then fret. The fret board seems to have a bit of a dip and I want to deal with wood rather than frets to level. Still , the finish. Iv`e read everything from Pam to Lemon oil to some mystery fluid no longer on the market. There are lovers and haters on all sides.

What do you use? 

This reply was deleted.