Replies

• I'm looking at bezdez's e-bay store rigth now and doing a little comarison against stewmac, so far it will come down to shipping costs. Bezdez is Canadian so I don't need to deal with the border, but that isn't a real big issue for me. i'll check out your suggestion too, thanks Josh.

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
    Don't get the ones from stewmac. They are overpriced. Go to eBay at this seller's store:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Luthier-Store_Inlay_W0QQ_fsubZ838308011Q...

Much larger quantities at much better prices. I get all my inlay material from this person. Never had any problems.

Dave Breault said:
    I know what you are saying but when I think inlay I am thinking out side of the box, no pun intended. I was just looking at some of those dots from stewmac, the price is right thats for sure. And they would look nice. Hmmmmm.
    Get a brad point 1/4" drill bit and some MOP dots cut to the same diameter from a good luthier supplier. Easiest thing in the world.

Dave Breault said:
    I am toying with the idea of a radius fret board with bound edging. The inlay will have to wait, I don't trust my skill level there yet and I'd hate to f@#$% up a time intensive build because of crappy inlay job.

1/4" will work for any build. For a pro grade neck, accurately thickness to 7 mm before gluing to the neck, then radius, inlay, slot, fret, etc, etc.
  • Don't get the ones from stewmac. They are overpriced. Go to eBay at this seller's store:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Luthier-Store_Inlay_W0QQ_fsubZ838308011Q...

Much larger quantities at much better prices. I get all my inlay material from this person. Never had any problems.

Dave Breault said:
    I know what you are saying but when I think inlay I am thinking out side of the box, no pun intended. I was just looking at some of those dots from stewmac, the price is right thats for sure. And they would look nice. Hmmmmm.
    Get a brad point 1/4" drill bit and some MOP dots cut to the same diameter from a good luthier supplier. Easiest thing in the world.

Dave Breault said:
    I am toying with the idea of a radius fret board with bound edging. The inlay will have to wait, I don't trust my skill level there yet and I'd hate to f@#$% up a time intensive build because of crappy inlay job.

1/4" will work for any build. For a pro grade neck, accurately thickness to 7 mm before gluing to the neck, then radius, inlay, slot, fret, etc, etc.
  • I know what you are saying but when I think inlay I am thinking out side of the box, no pun intended. I was just looking at some of those dots from stewmac, the price is right thats for sure. And they would look nice. Hmmmmm.

Dave Breault said:

• Get a brad point 1/4" drill bit and some MOP dots cut to the same diameter from a good luthier supplier. Easiest thing in the world.

Dave Breault said:

• I am toying with the idea of a radius fret board with bound edging. The inlay will have to wait, I don't trust my skill level there yet and I'd hate to f@#$% up a time intensive build because of crappy inlay job.

• 1/4" will work for any build. For a pro grade neck, accurately thickness to 7 mm before gluing to the neck, then radius, inlay, slot, fret, etc, etc.
  • I just knock the edge off so it doesn't dig into your hand
    I wasn't even doing that till I got too many complaints

When I add a fret board the neck feels to thick now,so I just sand or file off at a more drastic angle so it fits down in the crook of my hand
  • Even with the 1/4" oak fret board I started using (my first 2 were without fret boards) I still use a 3/8" round over it on the back of the neck from the box to the nut.

stan bryars said:
    I use 1/4 when I do
    But I have gotten so use to the 1x2 neck that I have carve out some of the sides of the neck to make if feel right
  • I use 1/4 when I do
    But I have gotten so use to the 1x2 neck that I have carve out some of the sides of the neck to make if feel right
  • I'm using a 3/16th because I have a "Through" neck. neck is made of white oak and the fretboard will be Southern Iowa Black Walnut with Abalone fretmarkers, with white side dots,...that should look real nice I think.
This reply was deleted.