Replies

• Hi Rick, your vids are excelent really easy to understand helped me out alot, answers to questions  I couldnt find anywhere else like best strings to use for certain tunings! Thanks so much!!

• Hey Scruggy,

Thanks for the comment. I'm really pleased you are enjoying the lessons!

Rick

• I think your videos and guide book are just what I've been looking for.  A lot of the instructional videos I have seen online don't seem to take into account that people like me have absolutely no idea what we are doing. 

Besides some piano lessons as a little kid and playing trumpet in the grammar school band, I have no musical background whatsoever.  

Thanks!

• That's great! Hope you enjoy them. If you have questions just shoot me an email.

Rick

• Welcome, Rick!

I'm a newbie to playing (and making) so I appreciate your contribution to making things understandable.

I intend to consume all of your information as soon as I finish my first three string!

The only thing I found a bit unusual is that your 1 5 1 tuning is EBE and I think that the most commonly recommended is GDG. I'm such a newbie that I don't know what the differences are, really. Just thought I would note that and perhaps you could comment.

Thanks again!

• Hi Darren,

Yes, GDG is probably a lot more common, but I like the nice low sound of EBE. To my ears it is a lot more bluesy. It's really the same tuning (151) just 1 1/2 steps lower so everything applies just as well to that tuning. If I were going to play in the key of G, I would capo on the 3rd fret.

Rick

• Thanks for the reply Rick.

I see. I'll have to try it. It occurs to me that EBE, being lower, would also put a little less strain on the neck.

Which of the 6 guitar strings do you like to use on your 3 string?

Also, I wonder if you would tell me what bridge you are using on the guitar in your videos? Thanks in advance.

• Hey Darren,

I'm using the 6-5-4 strings from a set of medium gauge strings (for 6-string guitar). I bought my CBG from Wayne Bigler. Nice instrument at a great price. I play it through a Pig Nose amp.

Rick

This reply was deleted.