Replies

• Thank you sir,  The sunburst is not that hard to do. Especially if you are like me and like the relic look.  On the first ones I did I used spray paint. Now I use and airbrush.  Hollowbelly's started out as a 2 bottle wine box out of some kind of pine. So first I used an oak stain. Hit it with some clear then the paint. As I look at the HB picture again, yes I did some sanding on that one..( I originally built it for myself and I wanted it to look old)  I get the metal for the cover plates and tail stocks I make from Home Depot it's just 23 or 26 gauge...I hammer the metal parts out on a bag of shot.  Hope it helps the cause.

PapaSimone said:
    Wow Jim.  I love your work.  Would you share how you get the sunburst effect?  Is there two coats of finish/paint and the black rubbed off?  I really like the tail piece as well.  Where did you get the metal?
  • Thanks Uncle John.  Does the dowel go all the way to the back of the box? I am unclear where the pressure is coming onto the saddle.  

Uncle John said:

Papa, I made a wood saddle with a dowel going down through the resonator hole and used a bit of glue.  Can't recall now, but I probably put some support to the dowel bottom.  You want pressure on the saddle, but I was concerned about having too much.
    PapaSimone said:
    I just started a reso with a cone from Old Lowe. I haven't figured out how to make a biscuit yet and would like suggestions on staining the wood.
  • Wow Jim.  I love your work.  Would you share how you get the sunburst effect?  Is there two coats of finish/paint and the black rubbed off?  I really like the tail piece as well.  Where did you get the metal?
  • 305701038?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I have built a few resos in the past year.  If I can help let me know.
    305702302?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Papa, I made a wood saddle with a dowel going down through the resonator hole and used a bit of glue.  Can't recall now, but I probably put some support to the dowel bottom.  You want pressure on the saddle, but I was concerned about having too much.
    PapaSimone said:
    I just started a reso with a cone from Old Lowe. I haven't figured out how to make a biscuit yet and would like suggestions on staining the wood.
  • I love my Old Lowe reso.  Makes the guitar sound twice as big. 
  • On my recent build I used one from Forbidden Guitars (forbiddenguitars.com) made of carbon fiber. It is attached to one of Old Lowe's brass cones and I love the sound.

PapaSimone said:
  • 305693753?profile=original
  • Hi Stevie Vaughn,

There are about 3, maybe 4 different discussion groups on Cigar Box Nation where Reso-CBGs are talked about. I put together a fairly nice list of links on the group I manage: Home Made Resonator Boxes 101   My group was originally going to be about basic box building, but I erroneously used the word "resonator" in the title, so I get a lot of hits from people looking for information on reso-CBGs, resonator cone makers/sellers, and the like. So I will try to support their needs as well, although I am no authority on Reso-CBGs. The link page should prove handy.

-Rand.

• I just started a reso with a cone from Old Lowe. I haven't figured out how to make a biscuit yet and would like suggestions on staining the wood.

photo.JPG

This reply was deleted.