Hey CBG-ers.  I am attempting my first scarf joint, and had a few questions. 

When finishing your scarf joint (all glued together), how much of a seam can you still see, none at all, easily see or just a little. 

If you do have a seam after finishing the gluing, what are you methods for making the seam not so apparent?  Will painting or staining take care of it?

I can`t get my hands on any good gorilla glue here in Japan.  BUT I think what I am using is pretty strong.  Do many of you who DO NOT use gorilla glue have good results with your joints?

I am following the tutorial in the HOW TO SECTION of the website.  Are there any other tutorials that any of you follow that might have some added insite?

Am I thinking too much on this, or should I just go with it?

Thanks for your time.  And happy building to all of you.

Douglas

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BTW, I don't have a table saw. I cut my scarf joints with a handsaw. My cut is never dead on the line (I'm thinking about making a miter gauge that is designed to clamp onto a neck blank). You get a straight and invisible glue line with the block plane. Also, with your headstock end being too high, this is easily fixed as follows:

305655833?profile=original

Douglas Eric Marsalis said:
    Thanks everyone. I have tried two scarf joints so far. It is not as easy as it looks.

One problem, because I do not have a table saw, I had to go to the hardware store to get my cuts. I don't think the guy did too good of a job.

I am trying my best to get my pieces together with NO seam, but it is just not happening this time around.

Another problem is that my head stock end is a milli or two higher than the neck end, so it will make problems for when I glue down my fret board. I mat have to have the fret board area plained again at the hardware shop. OR just try to file that area down. Any ideas?

God I wish I had the proper tools (table saw). Life would be so much easier.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Douglas
  • A saw cut alone is not enough to get a good scarf joint. After you make the cut, you need to clean up the mating surfaces of the wood with a block plane (I use a low angle block plane). Set the plane to whisper so that it will self level. Check work often with a straight edge to ensure that it is perfect. If you get this right, the scarf joint practically makes itself.

Thanks everyone. I have tried two scarf joints so far. It is not as easy as it looks.

One problem, because I do not have a table saw, I had to go to the hardware store to get my cuts. I don't think the guy did too good of a job.

I am trying my best to get my pieces together with NO seam, but it is just not happening this time around.

Another problem is that my head stock end is a milli or two higher than the neck end, so it will make problems for when I glue down my fret board. I mat have to have the fret board area plained again at the hardware shop. OR just try to file that area down. Any ideas?

Douglas
  • You apply a 1/4" fingerboard to the top of the neck and put a bit of that same stock on the back of the neck at the head. That way you get enough break angle over the nut and enough thickness to add your tuners, all without a table saw or a band saw.
  • I'd say she's more likely to mean this
    153112133?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 a bit of chopped off neck glued up underneath, but square...
  • Craig Cox said:
    Diane, what's a "dogleg neck"?

headstock with a very steep angle. Most are 7-10 degrees. Lutes and such have a much more angled headstock.

Matt
  • Diane, what's a "dogleg neck"?
  • If you are waiting for the hardware fairy to visit with your new table saw, you can make dogleg necks in the meanwhile, or can mount tuners sideways like a slotted peghead. It is WAAY easier with a proper saw, meanwhile work with what you have. IMHO!

Douglas
  • Rodney, nice work. On that 4 string, did you laminate three pieces for the neck?
  • some you dont see and some you do, depends on the grain. Titebond red lable, great stuff. A very sharp fine tooth blade.

cbg 003.JPG

3-stringers 003.JPG

• "save the gorilla glue for furniture repair... it expands on cure and will seperate parts causing mis-alignment. OK for worn furnature joints... not much else..."

It does a pretty good job keeping the soles of my old wading boots attached...
This reply was deleted.