Today my partner worked so I got to play..... If I messed anything up or could have done it better please let me know..... The history is that I had a coor's light beach (beer holder/cooler) that had this board inside that let you hook up your music device using a 3mm plug in. I ripped it out and used the speaker in a cigar box amp. As it is NOW I put it in a cigar box using 2 4 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms. I cut the battery black and soldered each end to an off on switch I had pulled from something else (it works).

As you can see top center is a piezo type speaker..... on the board itself the speaker wires and the piezo thingy are soldered to separate location on the board..... as this is toooooo loud for home use I want to add a volume control that is where I am lost......

I know it is tough just looking at a pic, but can you send me in the right direction to add the volume control, I would like the volume control to control all three speakers..... PLEASE keep in mind I am a total ... I would use the word idiot (but I got this far on my own)...... so please keep in very simple..... even if you have to pull out your crayons.....

IMG_3705[1].JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Scott's sketch is on the money, all you are doing is adding a vol pot to the input line, plus he added a 1/4" jack socket in place of the 1/8" one you've cut off, your speakers are already hooked to the amp, so that configuration must be ok, i think you might be over thinking it, the only wires that need attention are the ones where you've cut the 1/8" socket off Iassume the 2 wires going down and right are to your switch and battery connection, is so, the 2 going down and left are most likely the mp3 input line, if so, that is where you hook in the vol pot, then to your new 1/4" jack socket

• Looks like this amp board depended on the MP3 player's internal volume control instead of one directly integrated on the board. No worries...

306597080?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Replace the 3mm plug with a 1/4" jack, and wire the positive tip to lug 3 of your volume pot (a 10K pot is sufficient), and the sleeve or negative of the jack to ground. Connect lug #2 of the pot to the positive wire that came from the 3mm plug to the circuit board. And lug #1 and back of pot to ground too.

That should be it.

• that's much simpler than mine Scott, i never thought of controlling the signal before the amp, as i forgot that the source was from outside

• Great darryl if you get it can you interpret it for me....... lol

• I just don't see how the response fits into my question regarding the three speakers....

• I thought the response fit the question as it was asked. You wanted to know how to add volume control because it was too loud for home use.

Regarding the 3 speakers (well, 2 speakers and a piezo thingy), are those already wired to the circuit board properly? Or are you also asking help on how to wire/add the two real speakers to the circuit board with the piezo too?

• darryl was right Scott your pic is right on the money and what I was looking for....  Again as darryl was commenting I was over thinking the situation.... what that song.... "I can see clearly now"... thank your for your help

• You're welcome, Robert. Always happy to help.

• All done except changing the input jack.... swapped out the volume pot.... (it was a pull) and all is wonderful.... thanks again for all the help.

IMG_3706.JPG

• Okay got it hooked up as per pic and it works BUT the volume does not go all the way down..... I used a pot from an old amp    it is 50k (back marked ALPHA B50K) ... I figure that it is too big for my use, or faulty... or I screwed up... before I take it apart "should a 50k work (I also have a 10K)....   

This reply was deleted.