Ok here it is. I simply love to build cbg's I love every thing about the craft, but I now find myself with a surplus of guitars and the law has been laid down . If I want to build more I have to sell some. I have sold a few on ebay but I was wondering what other avenues there are to move some builds. I'd love to keep them all as all are unique and each one has its own special sound. But the law is the law. I know the holiday season is soon aproching and just wondering where you all go to sell some guitars. If your a long time seller what are the masses looking for ?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cotton eyed Joe. You rock!!!!!! I aspire to build a guitar as good as the one you sold me! I love it! And since I can't buy anymore guitars, I am so happy that I got one of yours, as well as a super build by tiny guitars. In fact I played your guitar so much that the box fell apart and I need to spend some time this weekend gluing it back together. A great sounding box. Beautiful punch box with hum bucker. If anyone out there is looking to buy a CBG, you will get a great deal from Cotton Eyed Joe!
  • If I can figure out how to post a video I will do it. But I want to say thank you for all the input, fellas. First off it's nice to know that others are in similar situations, I really identified with what Hal Sparter said: I want building to remain fun. With a family with two 13 year old twins and a 24 year old man child who does not want to leave the house, I really find solace and therapeutic value in building guitars on weekends and whenever I can find the time. I am driven to build these things; I almost don't feel in control of this feeling. That's one side of it; the other is the business side. I just don't want to endanger the passion side. I feel like I have found a wonderful little area of interest here which combines building cbg's and being a part of this Internet family of friends. It is important to me. Isn't that worth a little expense? Happiness, solace, community. Even if I never sell one damn guitar, I don't care. My wife does not understand that. But what price do you put on happiness and solace?????
  • I am glad to hear that one of my guitars is one of your favorites. I am up to build 45 and my craftsmanship improves with each build. I was nervous about my first sale, was it good enough for someone to pay me to build it ,would they be happy with my work and creativity. Well i had only 4 builds under my belt before I decided to sell and the 1st build was a dust collector ( which later on got reworked into a nice little guitar purchased by Mr. Cris Portillo Jr also a nation member)any ways 45 builds completed and I only hold on to one. So I say go for it  as long as you trust your craftsmansip and the sound quality is there , sell one and let some one review it ya got nothing to lose. It was hard to part with most guitars that I've built because they all are unique and some were just plain mojo on a stick. So yes it can be a nice little side business but now there are so many builders out there its crazy ( I just hope they love building them as much as do) becase when the love goes in great sounds come out. I love to hear other people play my guitars so please post a video I'd love see it.
  • Funny, I'm in a similar situation. The wife is pressuring me to sell them at craft fairs and such.  I've built ten, given away four (1 to sister, 1 to boss, 2 to Wounded Warriors), have four I wouldn't part with, so I only have two to sell.  She doesn't understand that this is a creative art, not a production line.  I probably will have enough to sell at some point, but I want it to continue to be fun.  I want to experiment with different configurations (which may or may not be saleable) and woods, maybe try some dulcimers and kalimbas,  She thinks I can make a second income off this, while I am very critical of my own work.

jim Kasmir said:
    I would like to resurrect this discussion because I just had 'The Talk' myself and I have only built ten guitars! She doesn't understand that they aren't good enough to sell yet. I said that I need to just keep building so that I arrive at a point where I feel confident about what I am selling.
    Anybody with experience with this could help a lot by giving your two cents. Thanks!
  • Same problem here. I get no more money for parts save for what I make when I sell them.

I say just jump in. I just sold my first on eBay and I'm a bit nervous but the guitar looks great and sounds great.....i just hope the buyer likes it. And its not like these cost an arm and a leg. I think a buyer or collector would appreciate it even if it weren't "perfect". It is a CBG after all. No two are the same.
  • Btw...I have a Cotton Eye Joe guitar and it is one of my favorites. A great build!
  • I would like to resurrect this discussion because I just had 'The Talk' myself and I have only built ten guitars! She doesn't understand that they aren't good enough to sell yet. I said that I need to just keep building so that I arrive at a point where I feel confident about what I am selling.
    Anybody with experience with this could help a lot by giving your two cents. Thanks!
  • I just carry mine when I want to sell one. People ask you to play. They ask how much, its sold. Try carrying one onto the cigar store you get your boxes at.Its really best to get them to ask you to bring it in. I go in grab boxes , then i tell them what im doing with them, they always say wow id like to see one, then go get it and it will be recieved better. Tote one to the flea market, or get a cheap weekend booth. I do roofing and keep one in the front seat of my truck when I am out selling. Almost 80% of my customers see it when they come out to my truck and if they dont start the conversation I do. I dont usually sell therm on the spot, but they call later. I hung 5 on the porch during my last yard sale. people arent looking to spend 100 bucks at a yard sale, so I made no sales that day. however 2 sold over the next month from people that got my number and returned when bdays came.
    And dont be afraid of your price. If youre like me you aint making much at 100 or 150 when you considered time spent. I used to sell mine for 50 and 60 bucks because I saw people on ebay's pricing. then I had to have 7 ready by thanksgiving weekend and it wasnt me building for fun anymore. I decided making no money and working instead of doing it how I wanted wasnt worth it. I raised my price to a minimum 100 bucks. I still feel my time is worth more than that but at least Im getting something back. And I sell them as fast as I can build them. If someone is forcing me to do someyhing on a timescale or a specific type of build I raise my price to make it worth my while. With me the key is to keep it fun. Dont let selling get in the way of your passion.
  • What are you interested in ? because any of the pieces in my photos are available for sale and I just finished 2 more pieces that I am posting pics of later. Sale prices are in the range of 75.00 to 150.00 depending on the piece. 20.00 to ship priority with USPS . Thanks amd let me know.
    Eric

beStillroy said:
    show me the options and give a price +++
    how you ship and how to pay
    THANKS
  • show me the options and give a price +++
    how you ship and how to pay
    THANKS
This reply was deleted.