LINK: The Gut Bucket

I don't often make fully acoustic instruments as it's so difficult to find boxes that will yield any kind of promising tone.  Most times you have to put an acoustic pup in them just to cover your bases.  I didn't do so on this one.  The box is HUGE and has tons of volume.  I'm very pleased with the way this guitar turned out.  You can get the full details on it at the above link.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't think adding a pickup is a 'crutch'. For the most part CBGs are a stick and a box. Seasick Steve often says his instruments, "sound like shit!" More than just difficulty of build, it's the nature of a cigar box that it's not going to be the loudest or best sounding acoustic instrument. That's the charm. Otherwise ya'd just build a dreadnought.
    Adding a pickup just adds another layer of fun.

That said, this is a beautiful build! And I do agree that sometimes you pay for expertise. It may be a stick and a box, but it was made by an expert!

• I got that same box and made a bass out of it.

It is HUGE!!!

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/100-0119?context=user

• Yeah, there is definitely plenty of low end response in these boxes.  I've been sitting on this box for years before I finally decide to build this as I didn't want to screw it up.  I spent a lot of time thinking about it.

• Josh,ron, I wasn`t having a go.I agree some of your work is fantastic, I`ve looked at some or your kit on the website.

I put a smiley on the end for that reason.......mind you it`s still a bit dear ;) ;)

• For Josh's skills, that's worth every penny. He's high end, maybe, but he's taken that road to see what can be done by applying his rather considerable luthiering skills to relatively simple materials. He's justifiably proud of his work.
  • Nice guitar. I was a bit worried when I saw the price tag for an acoustic......then realised it has all gold hardware ;)

• Price would have been the same if it was all chrome.  Price isn't set based on hardware finish.  It's based on what the guitar is worth :D

This reply was deleted.