I've been making gits for 3 years now, and have over 70 under my belt.. I have yet to make a laminated neck, or a wider headstock... but would like to on an upcoming build. I have been doing a bit of reading on grain, crowning, etc. With my cabinet saw, I can make pretty accurate cuts, but I don't have a planer to get the strips perfect. Where would YOU start? I have access to maple, oak, mahogany,etc. (mostly flatsawn) Just looking to up my game a bit...

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not bad for my first try...
    306589575?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• The factory faces aren't too bad for laminating up a headstock, I take the neck cutoff, split it and glue factory face to either side of the headstock.

306583325?profile=original

• Adding contrasting laminations under the fingerboard can also help with increasing the break angle over the nut/raise the saddle and make your build more interesting306586175?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• If I attempted that it would be disastrous. That's truly skillful.

• It ain't really,it's just layers of contrasting timbers

• For laminating necks a planer and thicknesser are great (but expensive) tools, but everything can be done by hand. All you need is a decent bench, a good sharp plane, a long steel straightedge and a good try-square. I made my first couple of hundred guitars with mainly hand tools, apart from a cheap pillar drill, it just takes longer to do, that's all. Quite often I'll take a 6 foot length of timber, cut it in half, flip the timber so the  grain of the two parts of the neck are as near symmetrical as I can get it and use a contrasting centre stripe. Use plenty of good cast iron C clamps when glueing up. Glue a  1/4 inch hardwood fretboard on top and you'll have a good looking and strong neck. It's really worth seeking out a good woodyard and building up a working relationship with them -  my local one will cut and plane to size free.

• Stewmac.com has a lot of instructional videos on site that you can look through and watch. Very helpful. Also Youtube videos can be very helpful as well. 

• What about grain alignment? I typically start with a 1x2, flat sawn (read cheap). Any pics would help...

Or am I over engineering this...
  • I often use a bench top jointer to even up the strips for a neck like this. They run around 100 bucks for the cheapies. In lieu of that a hand planer would be my next choice. If you have a high quality blade on the cabinet saw you might be able to get by without either of the above. I love laminated necks for the beauty of contrasting wood and the added strength.

This reply was deleted.