Hi , just starting out with my first build so gonna have to lean real heavy on you guys (and gals) for a bit . My first big question is , I have a neck (fretted) on order and have a box kit with the ferrules m/c heads etc  also bought some wiring , its pezzos , and a magnetic 3 pole pickup . Now if I fit it I will have to recess the neck at some point , will this compromise the strength of the neck ? I plan gluing the neck to the top lid of the box and to bracing blocks at the entry points for extra rigidity , dint want this guitar to have too high an action as I will want to grab odd fretted notes as well as slide , any help greatly appreciated , as I`m as ignorant as a yard dog to the pitfalls of building , cheers ShadowChancer

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• yea i use a block under it running the length of the box 

• 306179826?profile=original

• Also, you might want to relieve the neck underneath the box lid by about an 1/8" or 1/4", to let it vibrate for good acoustic tone.
  • These are my rough plans to brace the pickup route and the entry and exit points of the box306179810?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024306181434?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024306182315?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• only  problem  i  see   with  that set  up   mabe  leveling  the 2  pieces  .  unless  you   left  a bit  of meat     under the recess  ,,  also  it  looks  like       with the   string tension  ,,  that       back  piece would want to  pull   up  .

i think  you  have   overkill in  one spot  . instead   of sufficientcy   throughtout .

• I do what Pick said, I put a length of wood under the recessed part to strengthen it, the length of the box.  It adds some strength to it but also gives you something solid to screw a tailpiece into or bracing.  I also use titebond to glue the wood inside the box, then the neck to the bit of wood, and I also use screws where the neck enters and exits the box, back and front.  I didn't do that in my earlier guitars but on my recent one the neck came away from the box a little despite having clamped it with titebond for 24 hours.  I reckon the cold weather didn't help the glue set properly.

Good luck!

• if  you   have     room  ..  you  can   add    piece of     neck  wood  under  the   recessed     part    to  give  back  to  it  . you  could   even   do   this the full  length of the  box ,

306173017?profile=original

This reply was deleted.