So I've been browsing websites and YouTube videos on making CBGs for a while now and I was always thinking of building one. The only thing stopping me was myself really. Well that and the guilt of a ruined piece of alder staring at me that was supposed to be a guitar body for a school project, so I went out and grabbed some raw materials today. I'll (hopefully) be updating this thread as I go. Grabbed a 1x2 of red oak at Lowes for about $8 and got these 3 boxes for $3 each at a local smoke shop. I'll be using the black one for the first build and I'd like to save the nice big one until after I've tested the waters a little bit. It's almost certainly going to be a fretless. Wish me luck!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm at the final stretch of finishing a diddley bow and a 3 stringer.  The one I did listen to from the guys on the forum is don't sweat the small things.  If you mess up it's not the end of the world.  You should see my wiring job I did on pick up.  It look like spaghetti, but it works.  Have fun like everyone else says.  Don't forget to post pics.  I hope to post mine some time this weekend.

Brian 

• To be honest I really didn't think I'd make a mistake this soon. Box is notched out but I actually made one side 1/8th too deep. Don't let your mind wander when you take measurements. It's not the biggest deal as I'm using leftover oak as bracing on the inside and I can just fill in the gap with what ever but damn, it's depressing lol. Seriously, "Measure twice, cut once". I hope I don't have to teach myself that too many more times. 

306361947?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

306362877?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Use a piece of thin metal to make a cover plate, something like the attached drawing. It will do a few things; cover the gap, stop the neck from being able to move, and strengthen the box at the join.

The depth of the pocket should be adjusted  so the top edge of the plate is below the top of the box. Round the sharp corners.

Small pieces of sheet metal can be found in hobby shops, the hardware section of Lowes, etc.

Drawing not to scale and measurements are suggestions only.

306372985?profile=original

• unless your selling them I wouldn't let that bother you. They are handbuilt not machine precise....lol

• Those are some cool boxes. That thicker yellow box would make a great cigar box amp. I am just finishing up on my first CBG and have now got the itch to build some more lol. Good luck and remember there are no rules.

• You have the disease now.... :)

• Just one warning..... after your first build you WILL have the disease... 

• Off to a good start. Have fun.

• Ah the alder's not ruined.

Using a guide route the pocket oversize to straighten up the original route then glue in a filler block. When the glue is set route out the proper size pocket, again using a guide.

Plug the misplaced holes and re-drill in the proper locations.

If you plan to leave the body natural some care will be needed to match up wood or a contrasting wood can be used for the repairs. If you plan on painting the body just use alder or a wood with similar characteristics.

• You will get lots of advice here, wanted and unwanted, lol. 

first piece of unwanted advice is to "sneak up" on your cuts.

cut outs in the box should be a hair inside the line and then test/file/test/file/... till perfect.

cut the reliefs in the neck a little shy of the line, test/file/test/file....

This reply was deleted.