Hopefully I've successfully uploaded some photos to illustrate my query and that somebody will understand what I'm trying to say.

My CGB kit from GME arrived today and I'm thinking that I just have to dock the neck so it is no longer a "through neck" so that then I can fix the ash tray bridge on top of box when it comes in the mail. GME were out of them so I got the kit minus bridge and ordered the bridge from MRWS. I assume the maker has left it open for me to choose 'cos he didn't have the bridge to include in the kit. I'm worried I'll bugger it up by chopping off bits I can't glue back on.

Ok, so I assume if I chop off the end where the strings would have been anchored I'll then have to chisel out the neck so that it's flush with the fretboard so that the neck closes. Yeah? That won't alter any magic formulae I hope.

Next query is re the humbucker pickup (that's also coming in the mail with the ashtray bridge): do I have to laminate/glue and clamp bits of wood to the underside of the neck that's inside the box so that I don't weaken the neck when I chisel out a housing for the pickup? Is it recommended to have it all shaped and coming out of the box for strengthening purposes or is it just cosmetic? 

First build and first post, so I'm all over the shop trying to anticipate unfixable errors . . . and waffling, sorry. Plus there's the bonus of Xmas with some people being unavailable - such as the bloke who sold me the kit.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, I have just come across this thread. Couple of other things I noticed. The top/lid sat on the neck extension, so it would vibrate if not glued, and if glued (top to neck) there goes any decent acoustic sound. And I recon the fingerboard is far too wide for a three string CBG. Makes me wonder about a guitar shops understanding of how guitars work if they thought that was an ok kit.
    Cheers Taff
    • Thanks for your comments Taffy, yeah I don't understand how GME would think that peddling a cut down guitar neck was an ethical thing to do. Incidentally I just looked at your latest guitar . . . very nice. In fact all of your guitars look very nice indeed.

• Hey, thanks Greg.
        Taff
  • A big thank you to everybody for their interest, intervention and advice in this matter. I can now report that everything has been resolved and a full refund made, return postage covered and an apology issued  by Anthony from Guitar Makers Emporium. 

• Greg hi, did you get the money back?

• Hi Moritz, no money refunded as yet but the kit has been returned and full refund has been promised.

• Chose your scale Greg if you keep the kit, i'll knock you up a fretboard to suit, i've messaged you my ph no

• Thanks Darryl, I was thinking about to do the same, but as you live in the same town as Greg this is a better solution, as I'm living far away underneath your feet...

• Yes it's wrong, i can imagine myself first time up and the confusion, i knew the markings were wrong, but i thought the scale was just a very short [ukeish] scale, that's why i asked Greg earlier to confirm the 12th fret distance, glad you picked u more, as just by luck that distance MIGHT be 242mm, then i would have mislead him badly

• even at that short scale the frets will still be in the wrong position as they have been set out for a longer initial scale length. if you use this fret board it wont be in tune as you go down the frets. the place is closed till jan 4... i just noticed that they are selling the ALDI blues box for $90... three times the price from ALDI!!

The pics of their other CBG kits show a correct fingerboard , double fret marking at 12th fret.  looks like someone threw in the wrong fingerboard for this kit.. christmas rush mistake i think.

This reply was deleted.