So, I have most of the tools and supplies I need for my first test build. One thing I don't have is lumber. So I strolled around the corner to the local hardware store and took a look at the wood for sale.

Admittedly, I'm a pretty big guy; so when I took a look at their 1x2 boards, it was like a toothpick in my hand.

I may be exaggerating a bit, but man, that 1x2 board is tiny.  I think I may have to move up to a slightly larger neck. Did anyone else have this problem with their first build?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hell yes, I have big fingers, I used base trim, maple and oak, cut is on the table saw, lam it all together and then take a router to ease off the corners. it works great, You are the one playing it. I made a six sting, to big, I made a 3 string that I love but it has one to many as I dont play guitar, I am a old keyboard guy converted, I am now going to build a 2 string, I think it will be killer for my fat axx fingers. haha
  • Put a ruler on a standard 2 x 4 and see what ya get....

If you look at old houses, you might actually see some lumber that measures 2" x 4"...But you have to be looking at OLD ones.
  • Industry standard for at least 100 years, too late to change it now.

Scott L said:
    Well, I can't argue with you on the history of it, all I know is that it is false advertising. If its not 1 x 2 it shouldn't be marked as such. Their rationale is immaterial to my pocket book.

MichaelS said:
    The wood sizing has been around for much longer than the chain stores, it is really the size of the wood before it is planed down to a nice finished piece. Don't blame the chain stores they had nothing to do with it, now if someone can tell me why my potato chips have only 5 oz. now in the same size bag that used to have 6 1/2 or more... lol

Scott L said:
    The "1 x 2" you find at the hardware store has actually dried down to 3/4 x 1 3/4 or there bouts. It's no longer a 1 x 2 by the time it gets to you which I think is pretty crummy because that it what it says on the label. I guess it's just an accepted thing at pretty much every chain HW store. You are paying for less than what the label says so if you really want a 2 by 1 you will have to buy a bigger piece and rip it down to the size you want.
    I'm on my first build too and I've decided to just deal with it. My fingers are pretty long but not too chubby so I actually have perfect guitar hands. If you look at a regular acoustic you will notice the strings are pretty close together anyway.
    Hope this helps, good luck with your new build.
  • Well, I can't argue with you on the history of it, all I know is that it is false advertising. If its not 1 x 2 it shouldn't be marked as such. Their rationale is immaterial to my pocket book.

MichaelS said:
    The wood sizing has been around for much longer than the chain stores, it is really the size of the wood before it is planed down to a nice finished piece. Don't blame the chain stores they had nothing to do with it, now if someone can tell me why my potato chips have only 5 oz. now in the same size bag that used to have 6 1/2 or more... lol

Scott L said:
    The "1 x 2" you find at the hardware store has actually dried down to 3/4 x 1 3/4 or there bouts. It's no longer a 1 x 2 by the time it gets to you which I think is pretty crummy because that it what it says on the label. I guess it's just an accepted thing at pretty much every chain HW store. You are paying for less than what the label says so if you really want a 2 by 1 you will have to buy a bigger piece and rip it down to the size you want.
    I'm on my first build too and I've decided to just deal with it. My fingers are pretty long but not too chubby so I actually have perfect guitar hands. If you look at a regular acoustic you will notice the strings are pretty close together anyway.
  • The wood sizing has been around for much longer than the chain stores, it is really the size of the wood before it is planed down to a nice finished piece. Don't blame the chain stores they had nothing to do with it, now if someone can tell me why my potato chips have only 5 oz. now in the same size bag that used to have 6 1/2 or more... lol

Scott L said:
  • The "1 x 2" you find at the hardware store has actually dried down to 3/4 x 1 3/4 or there bouts. It's no longer a 1 x 2 by the time it gets to you which I think is pretty crummy because that it what it says on the label. I guess it's just an accepted thing at pretty much every chain HW store. You are paying for less than what the label says so if you really want a 2 by 1 you will have to buy a bigger piece and rip it down to the size you want.

• I make mine 1 3/4" wide with a 1/2" space between the strings. Works well for me with thin fingers but I'm sure it would be good for larger fingers.
  • Many "regular" guitar players prefer wider necks. Classical guitars typically run well over 2", some nearly 2 1/4".

Feel free to go as wide as you like!
  • Scotty, I have large short fat fingers. I have seen some pretty big guys play the fiddle and uke. Maybe you could get use to it. But the big advantage of building your own instrument, gunstock or custom thing is you can make it any old way that makes you happy.
    Bob:)
  • If you just round the back of the neck with a router or file the more square neck will be bigger ans it takes more "reach" to get your hand around it. I tried on a store bought banjo and the neck was really rounded on the back and felt really small. When I measured it it was might y close to a inch thick.
    Cheers Ron.
This reply was deleted.