Hi folks Well, I’ve pretty much finished my first build, and despite the lady’s neck being warped, the fact that she's highly strung, whines a bit and my splitting her box, and messing up the neck slots and generally acting in quite an un-luthier-like way…I think I love her. Of course, I’m already thinking about her sister. Here she is anyway - Sapiele neck with a lovely grain but a twosted shape Three strings like telephone lines Minty bridge - incidentally the same tins make quite cool slides piezo electrics with a built in pre-amp & sound holes that are rustic to say the least... I also built a little amp, which worked first time & sounds like a My Bloody Valentine tribute band when I switch the preamp on. I've got to admit, the electronics is easier than the woodwork, but it's all good fun. So there we are, first one gone, now it's time to make a good one, I reckon. Kind of addictive this, innit? Erik

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Todd

Yep - me too, never going to be a brain surgeon.

brother sonny said:
    looks beautiful!...

wide necks ain't bad if you have 'ham hands' like me :)

cheers,

Todd
  • Cheers Hogs - that was what I thought too...build something and then learn the lessons (and there are plenty)

The amp - I started with the 'smokey' circuit, but then tweaked it here and there to get rid of as much of the shrillness as possible. Took ages getting it right, and then went and forgot the volume control...

heh ho

HOGS GRUNT said:
    Nice one Erik,
    First builds are the learner, second build-the improvements. It just gets better and better the more you build cos you are right in saying that this is addictive. My first build had a tapered neck, the same as the full size guitars I have built, and, when I get around to it, I will have to 'straighten it up'.
    What amp did you build, out of interest?
    Keep making 'em.
  • Yeah, I can imagine that. I kind of just got my head down and kept going with this, trying to get one complete even if it ain't perfect, but I'm fired now with it all...

Thomas A. Boatwright said:
    I made three over the weekend trying to get it right. I'd build'em, then tear'em apart.
  • Hi Paul

Yes, I must admit I got pointed at it in a timber yard when I told the woman what I was doing. Once it was stained I couldn't believe how cool it looked...

Paul Doug said:
    Nice job Erik. That Sapiele is beautiful wood. That is what I used on my latest guitar.
  • Nice one Erik,
    First builds are the learner, second build-the improvements. It just gets better and better the more you build cos you are right in saying that this is addictive. My first build had a tapered neck, the same as the full size guitars I have built, and, when I get around to it, I will have to 'straighten it up'.
    What amp did you build, out of interest?
    Keep making 'em.
  • I made three over the weekend trying to get it right. I'd build'em, then tear'em apart.
  • Nice job Erik. That Sapiele is beautiful wood. That is what I used on my latest guitar.
  • Cheers Wes

The neck is only 1 & 3/4" wide, believe it or not, but the body isn't that big, so maybe it looks bigger necked by comparison.

I'll do a video and put it up, just putting a volume control on the amp first - it sounds like a plane taking off at the moment...

Wes Yates said:
    Super! Wow what a wide neck. Other than that, let us hear it. Post a vid or audio clip.
  • Super! Wow what a wide neck. Other than that, let us hear it. Post a vid or audio clip.
This reply was deleted.