Hi,Just a few pointers that may help a few new builders in their fitting fingerboards & fretting tasks, most of the info is captioned on the photos.

When fretting 6 string full size guitars the process is a fair bit more involved but fitting the fingerboard is about the same, but for 3 -4 stringers here's what I do, and why.

The small nails [I've had for about 55 years] so don't go looking for any] Ha, Ha! just get the smallest you can.

What is not covered here is the fret levelling and polishing, if needed.

Enjoy Taff

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the great advice Taffy. The photos are also excellent. What is your method of installing the frets? Do you us a hammer and block of hard wood, vice or something else?

• Hi Frank, thanks, I'm glad if you got something out of this.

I have pictured my methods here. The first one shows two hammers one I repurposed [frets only] back in 1975, just a shorter handle and added weight to the head to make it a dead blow hammer.

The other a piece of heavy brass bar drilled out to take a short handle. Again a dead blow.

Then I added the arbor press with special foot and brass inserts to suit different frets [radiused or flat]. That just pushes the frets in.

OR... you can chuck the same fitting [available from Stumac] into a drill press to do the same job.

306719815?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 306720722?profile=original 306721746?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 306723005?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Cheers Taff

This reply was deleted.