Replies

• I KNEW there was a buncha' knowledge and lore out there if we could just tap into it. Thanks to Brian and Scruggy for inspiring some of the old hands to chip in their wisdom.

Phrygian Kid: Yep! I only use the slant for a quick slide into a "sweet" major triad. Sounds like 3 neighbor tones. Half of the tritone is way sharp, but it's already moving in the upward direction so who really cares.

Patrick: I take your point about leaving the 3rd out of the V7 chord and losing the tritone resolution. The example I gave Brian was intended to be the most difficult one I could think of--probably NOT the most effective (now that I think about it.) I also agree that JS Bach was not above leaving out 3rds when he had to in order to make his fugue subjects work but in the pre-equal temperament days his tritones may have sounded so bad that he was glad to be rid of their sound in some situations.

Robert: I gotta' try this tuxguitar thing. Looks like potential for all sorts of mischief.

All: Thanks for the feedback. We've probably scared Brian (who was just looking for the D7 chord, after all), but I'm delighted to be able to provoke discussion at this level. Profound apologies to Brian for totally hijacking his discussion!

TN

• 306268200?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Tuxguitar -  set your tuning, click insert chord button, select the key and chord type, play whichever of the 2 dozen results that best suits the song voicing.

Free and does a couple of other things you might find useful at some point. :D

• smartchord app seems to do this also! i tried getting tuxguitar but they dont have it for chromebook! 

• I saw him last week at the liquor store.   He was pretty lit up and buying cheap beer and  Ten High bourbon.  

Pretty good answers here.    On a 3 string we often settle for a 'sounds like' rather than the exact chord.   Works fine, too.

• i object to that unc,the beer was not cheap,and the seventh blew out the 6 pack price

i like this one..

you can just move your first finger to the next string for a iv (c) chord like this..

• I use the 0 2 5 iv cord a lot. Hadn't noticed the 2 0 5 pattern right there. Thanks.
  • I've made this argument before and got into trouble, no sense in stopping now.

A D7 chord needs as an absolute minimum a C and an F#. It's called the tritone and it is what makes a 7th chord function. If you don't have the tritone then forget it. Then you need to get the tonic D note from somewhere. If anything I guess the A is dispensible.

Implied harmonies work when the notes around it also suggest the chord. The tritone might work over a short distance if you're moving to a G. If you've already played the F# somewhere close by it may work, you may have it somewhere in the vocal melody but to simply leave out the major third and say that you're making the chord by invoking the 'implied harmony' rule is a bit of a stretch. Baroque harmony was a completely different beast and doesn't serve as any sort of comparison, they didn't use chords the same way we do. 

•   Try this:306266051?profile=original

This reply was deleted.