Fiddle Gurdy

I know it is a little off topic, but I am working on a making a fiddle gurdy. Here is Dennis Havlena's link for it: http://dennishavlena.com/fiddlegu.htm I think I have a oddness in my makeup that makes be want to make something different than what I find. To that end I drew up my own design for a fiddle gurdy, taking Dennis's plans as a starting point. The image I have attached is before any resonance box is attached.

I am going to use hard maple for the "spine", MDF for the wheel, the resonance box is up in the air. -Michael

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A friend of mine made one of these and made it without keys so you just played it like a guitar worked pretty good.
  • Here is the latest stage:

• Here is the first photo of my attempt. I will be cutting out the portion on the top that will obviously be in the way of the wheel. I am keeping it there for now to make the drilling easier.

• Very cool, good luck!

Brian Lemin said:
    I have ordered his CD as I had thought of using a CB to make a "symphony" "gurdy". I will keep you informed if i think it is feasible.
  • I have ordered his CD as I had thought of using a CB to make a "symphony" "gurdy". I will keep you informed if i think it is feasible.
  • I took another try at drawing it up, I did not bother with showing the wheel works.

• I am planning on playing it lying down like a mountain dulcimer.
  • The drawing shown is pre-resonance box attachment. A piezoelectric transducer pickup is not a bad idea either! I will be putting a resonance box on the underside of the neck which will be solid maple.
  • Sounds like a good project; I like the sound produced by Dennis'...The one in the video. Don't see much to resonate in your design; is the "neck" going to be solid?
    Perhaps a pickup?
This reply was deleted.