Howdy all,

Most of you know that I am always willing too participate in just about anything that pertains too getting our genre' of music out there and reconized for what it is...But I have a small problem I'm hoping someone can relate too and steer me towards the right path too take.

Here's my situation, I have played harmonica on stage with some of the best musicians in the world...I have played at hoot-n-annies for years., and jammed in many many kitchens.... BUT.... for the life of me, I can't get past posting videos of my own music and lyrics....Has anyone experienced this problem, if so how have you gotten past it?

Sincerely
Reeds

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Reeds,  I got here late and there are some very good responses.   As for making videos, the best thing to know is that we are an encouraging and forgiving bunch - that goes double toward someone like you, who has shown himself to be a good person. 

I say IF you want to your stuff in vids, do something simple that you have done a lot of times.   I'd like to hear you do some harp and I wish we were close by and good jam a bit. 

• Jus' do it.  Hell, I've even been #1 and #2 in Top Content here once.  One a song and the other I showed what a byproduct of beer can do to brass.

Remember, satisfied is like satisfactory, not excellence.  If you wait for excellence, you might never post again.  Good enough is good enough.

hey-you-can-do-it.jpg

• Now I need to hear Ye Olde English WiddlyWiddly! There's nothing on youtube. I looked.

• See some of my vids for Ye Olde...Or listen to my "The Hogfather Gives Great A-Tuin A Present," on the 2013 CBN Christmas Album (or was it 2012?). That was done as Ye Olde English Widdly Widdly as possible...on purpose. >:-E
  • Ron always has wonderful advice doesn't he. I really appreciate his take on this and do not have much to add except that I agree that you just have to push your button close your eyes forget its there and go. I think posting here is a great way to become better. most here will be gentle and constructive, it will give you new ideas and you will probably entertain a lot of people. Try to have fun but do not let it get into your head. No one will deny your kids entrance to college based on a jittery performance, besides you are probably better than you think. Create art for the sake of art alone my friend. Its music to make you happy not the critic. ENJOY and I for one will listen

• Reeds you pitched a perfect pitch for Oily to hit over the fence.

Other then what's been said the bottom line Reeds is your in the right place. Support here for people learning is exceptional I have seen people make great progress here in just a few years. And having said that support for some of the best 3 and 4 string players I have seen is not so good. Go figure!

I don't know if you have the ability to multi track record but if you do your harp playing is in demand. Don't leave a song on a piece of paper because what people might think that's the mistake., most my songs I put on vid are not even finished and are first take recording. That's how I got almost 200 vids in 3 years, my vids take about 20 to 30 minutes to make and with that I know they are not perfect but they are good enough for CBN. Later Reeds

• Man, I can't add a thing to Oily's words of wisdom. He's right on all points. Lots of support here and the negatives usually come as constructive criticism. Damn the torpedos - full speed ahead. I've only posted a couple of originals here but that's because my main objective is to demonstrate a new build. Do a vid of an original and push that button. What's the worst that could happen? We'll most likely be gentle!

• Kinda weird. When I started playing the guitar I took it everywhere. Drove girl friends crazy. Now that I'm trying to sing and play at the same time I'm hesitant to put out vids. I have one video but plenty of songs. Guess we both have to overcome ourselves and just do it. Get past the fear of imperfection and self expression.

• I appreciate all your comments, and will take each and everyone under consideration. Everyone made valid points, but the one that stands out most to me was when Ron said "Another way I get over performance anxiety doing original material is to practice it until I, and no one else, am satisfied with it. " This may be the main problem, I really don't feel ready. I'll try and muster up some courage, please bare with me . Thanks for all the kind words....

• I'd be almost the opposite of what you describe, Reeds.  My playing isn't good but I'm quite happy to put the occasional video on CBN and, as Oily said, the members on this site are very supportive of people's efforts.

I would feel very nervous playing live.  It's not that I'm afraid of standing up in front of people - it's what I do for a living and I really enjoy it.  However, in a 'live' situation I'd be worried that my musical performance wouldn't be good enough.  I like to do things well and, if I think that my performance falls below my own standards, I don't want to do it.

I think that I'm happy with videos because there's no immediate interaction with an audience.  You post a video and it's done.  Sure, people may be critical of it, but that feels OK in writing.

Just have a go - you'll probably survive :-)  Have you got any video of your live performances as a start ?

This reply was deleted.