I'm wondering what boxes other CBG builders look for before starting their build and why, like size or shape of box , plain wood or paper covered wood, thick or thin, big or small, type of wood ,or just good lookers...  I know it's personal but what box in your opinion is best to use for a CBG or AMP and why ? .... TC

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1. Mac Portofino Cafe

2. Pardon 2000 and 3000

3. Punch boxes both paper covered and with medalion 

With boxes, it's about matching the box to the build. Acoustics and using piezos basses nees to be deeper to get low tone resonance.  Ukes and mandos can use smaller thinner boxes,

• Punch, Partagas, anything made of wood around 11" x 8". Will do fine. :-)

image.jpg

• Rocky patal 10 and 12 anniversary boxes have a very mellow sound and good volume believe it or not, nickle wound strings very smooth. Papa T
  • 1. Tatuaje boxes. 2. Tabak especial boxes ( 2 glued end to end) 3. Padron 1926 series. 4. Arturo fuente. 5. Oliva series 5. But the best box I found was a Macanudo vintage cabinet selection 1993. Wish I would of made that my 20th not my first one live and learn that the name of the game.
  • Thanks Mike,
    There I was feeling a little guilty bringing home four boxes the other day. Sitting there wondering, just what am I going to do with all them boxes :)

Glued 2 together and now only have 2 left. They go quick huh :)
  • I just came home with 69 box's from one shop, stop drooling only a few are usable for cigar box's, still don't have a favorite though.
  • Ive used a bunch. My favorites usually have a lil depth but you never know till you build it. I can agree with Bluesheart I always tapp them to make sure they have some tone.
    I finished a fuente today. I was building it for a charity auction so I wanted it to have an authentic cbg look since it was not going to be played untill purchased. So I used a fuente box figuring thats the most popular cigar sold in my area. I have built many of these boxes over the years and I am never overly pleased with the tone. The one I finished today sounds great! I was so amazed at the volume and the projection Comming from it. The only thing I did different from my other builds was use 80/20 strings that I only paid 3 dollars for. Its also been a while since I used poplar but I know I used poplar on these boxes before. Threw me for a loop.
    My favorite boxes that always please me tone wise are the Romeo and Julietta boxes. They never fail for a great sounding CBG and they look nice for the selling side of the fence.
  • I don't think there is a wrong size, I tend to use things that jump out at me and I think have style. To me the most important question you have to ask is this, what function is the box going to serve? In my first build I used the old "glass bottle for a bridge" trick, so my box is used to house the hardware (pickups, knobs, wireing). and has very little impact on the sound, at least not enough to be heard over the bottle's effect. But I think is important to get a box that is in decent shape other than that, just keep in mind the rule is the same with necks as with boxes, the bigger, the deeper.
  • Good question, as I was wondering this myself and I am sure many wonder which might be better suited than others.
    My first ( which I am starting on now ) was with 2 kind of small boxes. When I realized ( woke up to that fact ) I corrected it by glueing the two together. They sit drying in the shop now. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for the good info everyone.
  • So far my favorites are the larger Padron boxes and the Punch English Market Select boxes, also the Cabrillas box 'that Diane was taking abt are good noise makers too.
This reply was deleted.