f holes

hey all,

so i am getting bored of just drilling  1 inch holes for my soundholes and want to try some f holes.  it seems using a coping saw is a pain in hte ass unless i want to take the box lid off,  i tried using an exacto knife, and it worked, but it also took me for ever to cut the holes out.  anyone got any advice?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Now that I think of it, I guess it just depends on the box if you have to remove the lid or not to use scroll saw.

• Often, to scroll em out without cutting the lid off you work with the inside of the lid up if you follow...
  • Somebody just posted some real nice f hole templates in the photo section too.

• I'm sure a scroll saw works great, but you have to remove the lid to use one. I've had good results with a jigsaw, using a fine blade made for curved cuts. You may need to finish the tightest curves with a coping saw or exacto. Cover the sole plate on the saw with some cardboard so it does not beat up the box! Then you can cut w/o removing box lid, provided of course that the box is deep enough to allow full stroke of the blade.

• Hi Jim, I did my first f holes this week and like many here said I drilled the end holes then I had success with dremel and small files. I am pleased so far.

• There's a small pin in the table under an f-holed template. Fasten the top on the template and then place the template over the pin in the table. Lower the trimmer router into the top and move the bottom around and the template underneath follows the pin and cuts a perfect f-hole.

Here's a link to see it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ3ME1Oqmi8

• awesome, THANKS ALL FOR THE ADVICE!

• Drill holes then Jig saw with fine cut blade made for cutting curves. I usually tape some thin cardboard to the foot of the saw to keep it from beating up the box. Masking tape on the box will help with tear out but may cause other problems like messing up labels etc. I find that a good blade and some patience will eliminate most tear out problems. Depending on the size of the Fs, you may still have to use a coping saw of files to get into the tightest spots.

Just what seems to work for me.

• Jim, they have a new Dremmel out that I plan on buying soon...... it looks like a palm sander but looks like it cuts really nice like a scroll saw. Might work really well, but it sells for $99-. I am a bit limited as I am renting a townhouse until I can sell my house in Knoxville, so something like this new dremmel would work well since I do everything on my porch!

305799948?profile=original

• Drill holes for the rounded ends. Then use a Dremel with a router base and spiral bit for the rest. Get it close to your lines, then clean up with flat and round files as necessary.

This reply was deleted.