Eye bolt tuners... as if there haven't been enough questions about them so far...

I am considering using eye bolt tuners on my next build. Can I use my cheap-o drill press to drill through an eye bolt? What type of bit should I use? I'm also considering just cutting a slot in the end of the bolt (similar to a bass tuner). Has anyone tried that before?

Views: 4583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now that you've been using them for a bit, has your opinion of them changed at all?

Crow said:
i just built another quickie using eye bolt tuners - have a look!
http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/eye-bolt-tuners-strike-back
actually, my opinon of them has become more refined -

i now certainly feel that they have advantages over zither pin tuners. i have a zither pin tuned CBG at my desk at work, and when i need to tune it, it's a MAJOR pain. i don't have the proper wrench, and everything else just tears them up. they look really battle-worn.

the bolt tuners allow me to adjust tension with my bare hands. it's stiff, but workable. having an eye bolt on one side and a wing nut on the other allows me to use both hands to grab it with and i get a lot of control. they also move smoother than zither pins, as the pins have to break friction with the wood before they move, and may jump more than you need. the bolt tuners with washers however, are metal to metal, and move in a smoother (albeit VERY TIGHT) and more controllable fashion.

they take a little skill to get used to, but they work just fine. they cost slightly more per tuner than zither pins, but are much easier to aquire. they're available anywhere, and they require no special tools to install and use (other than a drill for the holes.)

i can certainly say that i'd prefer nice geared tuners, but these work just fine until i feel like forking out twenty bucks per guitar for tuners. right now, my production cost is at or below $10, and production time is just about 1 hour. so the major investment in nice tuners right now would be a waste until i have the ability to produce some really nice, finished instruments.

Michael Gajeski said:
Now that you've been using them for a bit, has your opinion of them changed at all?

Crow said:
i just built another quickie using eye bolt tuners - have a look!
http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/eye-bolt-tuners-strike-back
now, if i could get a 6-pack of open-backs for ten bucks, that be $5 per instrument for MUCH better tuners than the bolts i've got and as it is, it's around $3 for the bolts and wing nuts for each guitar, all said.

so i would defininitely be interested. i've been looking for a good wholesale bulk source of cheap tuners for a long time,but cannot find any...

Scott Winburn said:
Crow, you should be able to find open-back "economy" geared tuners for around $10-$12. My last tuner purchase were small headed closed-back tuners that were $8.99 for a set of 6. They are obviously cheap, but they work just as well as every other geared tuner i've used. I wish i could remember the source, but i recently lost all my email history in a crash. Check the "Hot Deals" group here on CBN... i may have posted a link to it..
I think I actually posted a link in the hot deals group for tuners at 99 cents a piece.

Crow said:
now, if i could get a 6-pack of open-backs for ten bucks, that be $5 per instrument for MUCH better tuners than the bolts i've got and as it is, it's around $3 for the bolts and wing nuts for each guitar, all said.

so i would defininitely be interested. i've been looking for a good wholesale bulk source of cheap tuners for a long time,but cannot find any...

Scott Winburn said:
Crow, you should be able to find open-back "economy" geared tuners for around $10-$12. My last tuner purchase were small headed closed-back tuners that were $8.99 for a set of 6. They are obviously cheap, but they work just as well as every other geared tuner i've used. I wish i could remember the source, but i recently lost all my email history in a crash. Check the "Hot Deals" group here on CBN... i may have posted a link to it..

my recent experiment might be nice for didley, opened up the eye bolt. The two nuts on left can be tightened into each other and lock in the amount of friction, cheap and do not loosen or wear out like lock nuts do. Below is something interesting for the group on the web.

Michael Gajeski said:
I think I actually posted a link in the hot deals group for tuners at 99 cents a piece.

Crow said:

so i would defininitely be interested. i've been looking for a good wholesale bulk source of cheap tuners for a long time,but cannot find any... Scott Winburn said:
Crow, you should be able to find open-back "economy" geared tuners for around $10-$12. My last tuner purchase were small headed closed-back tuners that were $8.99 for a set of 6. They are obviously cheap, but they work just as well as every other geared tuner i've used. I wish i could remember the source, but i recently lost all my email history in a crash. Check the "Hot Deals" group here on CBN... i
may have posted a link to it..

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
52 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
53 minutes ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
3 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
4 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
11 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->