I am new to building these amazing CBGs. I really like building them, but I want them functional too. Most all of my builds, I have built abut 5 so far, have very tight strings when tuned to GDg. The strings are very very tight making it hard to cord and uncomfortable to play. I also break several strings getting to the tuning. My builds are most all built on 24 or 24.5 inch scale length. I bought a bulk 12 pack of medium acoustics open G standard strings from C B Gitty. I also use the narrow/low nickel silver frets. What am I doing wrong? Should I be using a shorter scale? I am lost please help,

image.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On my tuner doesn't show the low G pitch...so I started tuning from the high g to the low G...and that seemed to work fine...so when you check on the fret board for matching notes....instead starting on the 5th fret like with standard tuning...with open G tuning on a cbg you start matching notes at the 7th fret....then the 5th...same same for the last.(in 3 stringer terms)

Hope this helps, for the matter even makes sense too you.

• I think all you guys are right, I tuned our last guitar to DAD and it works.
    I have ordered strings twice from Gitty and got two different groups. It helps to know what to order, I just assumed they were for all CBGs. My next order will be for some of the strings you guys have suggested.
    I will be back to this forum with future questions, I am amazed at the great responses I got.
    I thank everyone for taking the time and for being willing to share your knowledge. I hope I can pay it forward someday.
  • here's a simple way to do it, on 25.5" scale length use the middle four strings from a set of Ernie Ball slinkys "9's" electric guitar strings (acoustic strings are too thick for CBG's)  and you won't go wrong, you must have the right string for the right position - for three string lose the thin (highest) string - shimples! (-;

or strings can be ordered singly from most sellers.

$T2eC16FHJH!FFlvq+VCMBRbVFzVpQ!~~60_12.JPG

• I bought the Open D acoustic set which are .36, .26, .17 (or close) which I think should be A, D, and G. I then tune the A down to G. I like the bottom (thinnest) to be non wound, just to get rid of the "zing" but I think the .36 goes a little "dead" by tuning down. I'm wondering if I would be better with a .40 or .45 and tune it up??

• i think the gitty open g packs are of guages that suit,gbd/gbe by memory

• I think u have the ones meant for GBD tuning . I use the blues blaster ones they have 44, 34, 24 or if u want a plain high string 36, 26 , 17 or close to that will work with your scale for GDG tuning or AEA .I've used these two guages on many builds in 23.5-25" scale length
    • The best tuner I've ever had is on my iphone it's called guitar tool kit it's $9.99 you will be able to get G2 ect.I've got .042 .032 & 0.24 on my first build and got it tuned to E2 B3 E3

• 306174750?profile=original

• Thanks for all the responses, I have some things to check on. I will see what strings I have and buy a couple of sets of cheap strings to see what works for me. I can then settle on a good set. I will be more specific when I reorder strings, I wasn't aware of all the options. I am also going to try to find someone local to teach me how to tune my CBG with my tuner, correct pitch etc.
      Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate each and every one. Thank you all.
      • When you tune to pitch it means tuning to the note it should be G2 , D3 , G3  , G2 being the bottom thickest string and the top G3 is the thinnest string .

This reply was deleted.