I got a few 1/4" jacks from radio shack. The back of the package says mono 1/4" jack. There's an extra lug. It's not a ground lug. I tested it with a piezo on the ground and one of the hot lugs and it seems to sound normal. Should I be concerned about an extra lug not being used? What is this for? I can a pic if necessary. Any advice appreciated.

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'll send you a pic when I get home
  • Correction....I just did this set up on my last build. You have to jumper the lower tip lug to the ground lug and then add the switch in line.
    • I use stereo Jacks. They seem to work ok as switch jacks...but know you have me thinking....are they affecting my volume control? Since I've been using the stereo 3 lug jacks my volume control has not been working properly. I was blaming it on shoddy potentiometers....but possibly because I'm using a stereo jack for a mono application it is hurting the volume control some how. I will have to investigate this. Thanks for making me think about it.
      • hmm, that would depend on how its wired. normally a stereo jack is wired as a power switch by connecting the battery negative wire to the ring lug and the circuit card's power ground/negative to the sleeve lug with all the other grounds.

• Pete, are you perhaps confusing a TipRingSleeve jack (stereo) with this TipSleeve-break (mono) jack ?

• Pete,

What switch did you use?
  • The Switch is closed when unplugged, and open when plugged in, usually used as a headphone jack on an amp.

The hot wire for the speaker goes to the tip's lug, and then from the extra lug to the speaker itself, so that when you plug in your headphones it kills the speaker.

• If you have active electrics in the guitar it can be used as a circuit breaker to switch things off eg. Internal built in amp and speaker set up. Same as mine. If you don't then just ignore it.

• These switched Jack's are great. They cut down on the work and space needed to add a physical switch on a small project
    • You won't hurt anything experimenting with it. It's half the fun!
This reply was deleted.